PDA

View Full Version : Battery Powered Aquarium Cleaner

marg
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:09 AM
Whilst surfing around on EBay I came across an item called a "Multi Vac" Battery Powered Aquarium Cleaner - looked interesting - I am wondering if any members have any knowledge of this product and any comments regarding it, good or bad?

Regards,

Marg.

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:20 AM
Marg, from what I understand they are a long tube with a motor and a bag on the end. It sucks up gravel and water, and dumps the light stuff, like excess food into the mesh bag. The water goes straight back into the tank.

Good if you just wanted to do a quick vac to remove uneaten food or something like that, but I still use the good old hose method.

marg
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:42 AM
Hi Ladyred,

I have put 3 of my pairs into a divided barebottom 4 foot tank and I do water changes daily - what I was thinking was it might be good to use to clean the rubbish off the bottom of the tank - after getting rid of the rubbish I would then continue on and do my usual water change.

Maybe I'm a fusspot, but I can't stand seeing the tiniest bit of rubbish leftover on the bottom when I do my waterchanges.

Not so bad in a tank with a gravel bottom, but it's really obvious in a barebottomed.

Regards,

Marg.

marg
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:36 AM
Does anyone else on the Forum have anything to say regarding this Product?.

Has anyone used it?

Regards,

Marg.

Proteus
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:38 AM
What brand is it?

From what I know of most battery operated vacuum devices they are quite weak...

marg
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:45 AM
Hi Rohan,

Thanks for your reply.

On EBay it is advertized as "Multi Vac".

If you do a search on Battery Powered Gravel Cleaners it comes up, along with another Brand.

As I explained above, I have turned one of my tanks into a Bare Bottom Tank, and I hate any rubbish on the floor of the tank. I am trying to keep it as clean as I can, and I thought this might solve my problem, and was interested to see if anyone else on the Forum had had any experiences with this item.

Regards,

Marg.

Proteus
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:49 AM
I will go have a look, but IMO gravity works best

:wink:

Proteus
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:52 AM
OK, that is the Hagen model which I have seen and used before.

It does work but doesnt have much suction, also it can make the water cloudy as the bag containing the waste stay in the water until you take it out.

HTH

marg
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:57 AM
Rohan,

You are probably right - I was just thinking that if it worked, you could use it to get the main rubbish off the tank floor and then continue on with your usual gravity fed vacuum.

It drives me nuts chasing little bits of junk around the floor when I am donig a waterchange. The junk seems to hide behind the sponge filter or the Cone and if you move either it goes all over the place.

Regards,

Marg.