PDA

View Full Version : How I envy you!!!

FishyGal
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 05:28 PM
D'you know, I kept discus before, about 3 years ago, I had 5 of them in a 4' 57 gallon tank, they looked beautiful, but all they did was chase each other around, one becoming the dominant one and the rest all hiding from him. I tried removing the dominant one but the whole thing started again with the fish fighting among themselves. Previously I had kept angel fish with exactly the same scenario. This is why I now just keep one. So.........how do you do it :ug ? How do you get them to swim together and live together harmoniously?? Also, if 2 pair up isn't it true that they will endeavour to kill the others in the tank? :roll:

Val

FishLover
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 06:23 PM
I had 6 of them before and they were kind of chasing each other and picking on one of them. After I added 5 more, they stopped doing that. I think more discus made the chase lot less.

Mind you, I have a 125 g tank so having 11 of them is not a problem.

FishyGal
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:00 PM
But what happens if a male and a female decide to pair off? :roll:

marg
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 10:27 PM
.If they get to the point of spawning they get a bit territorial and tend to chase anyone away who goes near their chosen site, but they aren't "Killers" :lol: :lol: .

Regards,

Marg.

Del
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 10:35 PM
I have exactly the same problem Fishygirl - how many discus do you have?

I have 6 now in a 150l planted tank. Two are just chasing the others into submission (but I don't think they are a pair)!

All the other 4 do is hide and are now not eating!

What to do?

Bill T.
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 10:40 PM
I have two pairs in my 240 litre tank. Sure there are plenty of family dynamics, especially with the two bulls charging at each other. Sometimes the two females get into a bit of a "bitch fight" as well.

I think it works because they are all pretty much matched for size and personality - no major damage gets done. Over time, they have started to settle down a lot - as we all do with age.

One day I hope to breed - up till now I have got to the stage of free swimming fry which get eaten by other fish or sucked up by the filter system. What would happen if I add a batch of young ones to the tank?

As you can tell, I'm pretty well hooked on keeping discus!

Del
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 12:20 AM
So they should all be around the same size?

Maybe that's my problem - I have one that is 17cms and the other five are about 10cms.

What about yours Val?

DEL

sharn
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 12:07 PM
from what ive read theyre sorting out their pecking order and because the dominant one doesnt have much to spread out the aggression on theyre copping it full force? id try adding more and see if that works out (room permitting or course). i think they may not fight with smaller/younger ones because they dont see them as a threat to their territory, after all they are cichlids!!

FishyGal
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 05:29 PM
I have exactly the same problem Fishygirl - how many discus do you have?

I have 6 now in a 150l planted tank. Two are just chasing the others into submission (but I don't think they are a pair)!

All the other 4 do is hide and are now not eating!

What to do?

I now have just one!!! I had 5 discus about 3 years ago and had exactly the problem you are having now Del. I think that possibly my tank then and your tank now is just not large enough for 6 of them, I lost 2 of my discus then, and ended up taking the others back to the store in order to save their lives, they would have been bullied to death I am sure.
Once they stop eating as yours are doing they seem to quickly go downhill. I would keep a very careful eye on them if I were you.

Life is much easier now, I have just got the ONE beautiful boy and 12 cardinals.
:D