PDA

View Full Version : Live Food - Guppy Fry?

Topkath
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 10:25 AM
Hey all...

My guppies are reproducing at an amazing rate (as they do... :thumb ) Obviously I can't keep all the fry. If I put them in my main tank with my Discus, will he eat them? And, if so, are they OK for him to eat over the long term?

What other types of live food can he eat? :ug

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 11:49 AM
Kath, you could feed him guppy fry, and he would probably eat them quite happily.

The problem I have with that, is that if you ever want to use him for breeding, he may see his own fry as food, and there won't be a lot you can do to stop him.

See if your local fish shop will take some of your fry when they've grown, and swap them for some fish food, or if you just leave them in the tank with the parents, they'll take care of the population explosion themselves.

brad_v
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 11:49 AM
I tried to use guppies as a continuous supply of live food for my discus. I just ended up with a tank full of guppies. Maybe the discus were too young when they were all placed together.

nicholas76
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 11:03 PM
TopKath,

I used to feed my discus siamese fighter fry,,, no issues at all they would be gone in literaly half a second,, snapped up !

just ensure you mix up the fish diet,( dont feed it solely ) and ensure the live food you are giving them is healthy

I dont see an issue at all.

dntx5b9
Tue May 02, 2006, 08:28 PM
The problem I have with that, is that if you ever want to use him for breeding, he may see his own fry as food, and there won't be a lot you can do to stop him.

:shock: Is this comment from an actual experience? I have hard time believing that discus will think their babies are food and eat them. I have never seen any fish eat their fries thinking it was food. There few reasons why they would but I don't think because they think it's food.

nicholas76
Tue May 02, 2006, 09:16 PM
Discus do eat there fry , and it is a common thing too!

Parents usually eat there fry if they feel threatened or simply if they are not experienced in raising fry.

ps. Lady Reds' been breeding discus for decades

Bill T.
Wed May 03, 2006, 05:48 AM
How difficult is it to breed siamese fighters?
I wouldn't mind introducing some live food to my diet - hoping to find something more convenient to breed than guppies.

nicholas76
Wed May 03, 2006, 06:12 AM
Bill

the stock variety fighters are EASY to breed!. Although its probably easier to breed guppies and you dont have to worry about fish killing each other etc etc etc

shayesmommy
Sun May 14, 2006, 01:14 AM
umm alot a fish eat there babies. quite a bit of them do.

rytis
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 04:28 AM
Live Food - Guppy Fry?
listen and listen good: i kept discus very succesfully for just under a year, but right before that, a year ago, in my "giving up on trying to keep discus days" i once put about 50 livebarers babies in discus tank as food.... well, discus ended up raising them, and dying like a salmon....

nicholas76
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 09:17 AM
Topkath,

How did you go?