PDA

View Full Version : Discus at Local Fish Store

williamvo
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:23 PM
Why do some local fish store have discus for $10? Are the discus ill? or is it just not a popular discus?

Proteus
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:25 PM
I am assuming you are not in Australia?

discalicious
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 11:17 PM
10 bucks???where in sydney, i will be there today as soon as you let me know.

Proteus
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 11:41 PM
I think you will find it is somewhere in North America

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:30 AM
I guess it's a case of 'supply and demand' William. If they have an excess of fish, or if they have been slow to sell, they might drop the price.

Doesn't necessarily mean they are unhealthy, just that they have more than they need.

barramundi
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 02:06 AM
Hi all,

I just got 2 baby turks $5 each from lfs up here in townsville nothing wrong with them.

john

mcloughlin2
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:50 AM
It all depends on quality...i can buy some breeding pairs of discus for $150 occaionally, but very rarely will they be as high quality as a pair that costs $500..

Also how large are these discus? they might be under 5cm, they might be deformed...

All these points need to be taken into consideration before buying.... :D

FishLover
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:56 PM
I don't think you can buy discus for $10 in USA. I paid about $35 for mine and $70 for S&H

YOu may get some really small babies that cheap but I have not seen anything like that yeat. Maybe on eBay. You will have to pay for S&H, plus you do not know what you are getting.

williamvo
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 08:49 AM
i live in california and i just got mine for $10. nothing is wrong with it, no deform. it's probably about 2 inch in diameter. the only thing is that i don't know what kind of discus it is. but i have seen some for $10 and it look like it's about to die. so, i guess you really just get lucky with the $10 discus.

Squid
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 04:01 PM
Now I know I keep sticking it to you southern folk about how much you pay for discus down there in Sydney and Melbourne, but I've just gotta reply to this thread. I'm not being an arrogant QLD'er, but this is what you'll get for $5 in Townsville. These pictures are the siblings (1 generation ahead) of the $5 discus we had for sale up here last week. These ones were purchased 8 months ago and have a look at them now! I have some photos here of last weeks specials (the 4 little guys among the cobalts and RSGs) and some of the grown ups. Please consider moving to Nth QLD

Squid

Squid
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 04:07 PM
Sorry - I cant help but skite now - yet more grown up $5 fish from Townsville LFS. Probably people out there saying I'm making this up. Barra old mate, please back me up with some photos of your new $5 beauties

Squid

DiscusMad
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 04:50 PM
maby we could orginise a delivery of youngens down here at some time

williamvo
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 08:33 PM
wow, those are really good looking discus for $5. I wish there are more lfs that offers cheap discus like that here in california.

discus000
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:21 PM
Wow squid those fishes for $10!!

Amazing.

I use to live in Cairns during the 80's

I do miss the climate...Tropical weather most of the year. Like you said perfect for growing discus.

But i hated boarding school

barramundi
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 10:18 AM
Hi all,

As i said and squid is spot on ,when i bought my two their was about 50 in the tank,i only bought these to start the cycle off in my new tank better to lose 2 $5 fish than a few $100.I'm sorry i did not get more but the best thing is the pair that bred these have just had another batch so i will get more when they are ready.Well here are my 2 settled in better now i have put some older discus in.

john

williamvo
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 06:45 PM
this is mine for $10. what do you guys think
http://www.williamvo.com/fish/discus.jpg