PDA

View Full Version : dicus feeding time

Nathan
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 01:54 AM
i just boght 6 juvi discus a few days ago, i have a school of neon tetras 4 rummynose an 4 kerri tetras in the tank. whenever i put food in the tank mates (tetras) just have a feeding frenzy then the discus dont get any food.

ive tried feeding the tetras flake food first, then outting the food in for the discus, and it seems to work, sort of. anyway is this ok to do for every meal or will i be adding to much food to the tank?

nathan

sharn
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 12:14 PM
discus are slow eaters and fast fish will gobble it all up in no time. you could drop some in the discus' fav spots so they have a better chance or just spread a normal amount around the tank? spreading it out will give the discus a better chance at getting some

m1
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 02:48 PM
try using a worm feeder. tetras in my tank only get what the discus drop, which is sometimes more than they eat.

kalebjarrod
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 09:16 PM
or put food in a few places in the tank

i found my "Ds" would eventually get as frisky as the tetras they just had to get used to them :wink:

Bill T.
Mon May 01, 2006, 06:15 AM
Perhaps you could put those tetras into a spare tnak for a couple of weeks, so your discus get to settle in & get used to the type of food you are giving them? I use "color bits" which slowly sink to the tank bottom - a bit too big for the tetras to gobble up & they don't seem to like eating from the bottom of the tank.
Once the discus get settled in, I reckon the tetras will give them more space - I'm told discus like to eat tetras, although I've never seen this happen.