PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Edges on tail fin - Will my discus be allright??

Anubias
Sun Apr 02, 2006, 12:24 AM
Hi All,

I added 4 discus juvis into my 5 foot tank with Satanoperca Leucosticas 4 days ago. I been monitoring them and I've noticed the discus are getting cloudy edges on their tail fin. They are happy enough, eating, not getting picked on etc. My PH is at 6.9, GH 9, AMM 0, NIT 0.

My feeling is that they are stressed. They were imported from O/S 1 month ago; so you have travel, move to quaratine tank, move to shop tank, then move to my tank. The water was PH 6.5 in the shop tank and I acclimatised them as best as i could.

I have seen this clouding once before on one of my Green Horse Faces in the past and it pointed me to the water conditions being a bit off. When I 'fixed' the water, the tail went back to normal. Is this the same for Discus?

What I want to do is wait this out. My experience is telling me to keep the water conditions as stable as i can, don't stress out the fish for a week or 2 (ie putting fish in, pulling fish out, rearranging plants etc) and see if it improves. Does this sound allright? Any help would be great.

Cheers

sammigold
Sun Apr 02, 2006, 03:30 AM
I think your GH may be a bit on the high side for the discus as they do like softer water.

My discus are currently in GH of approx 6-7 ...

I would be inclined to do what you are doing and wait a little for them to settle in and see if it clears by itself....

marg
Sun Apr 02, 2006, 08:54 AM
I second that Sammi.

Poor little Blighters have been through quite a few changes - they sound jetlagged!!.

Keep up your Water Changes and try to lower the GH and I'm sure that in a week or so they will be quite happy.

Regards,

Marg.

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 02:51 AM
Excellent advice from the ladies there Anubias.

How are your fish looking today?