PDA

View Full Version : Equip a new 120gal tank

Steverd
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 09:09 PM
I will be getting a new 120gal/470l tank very soon.
I want to purchase most of the equipment now, so I need some
advice on what would be your shopping list for equipment on a Discus tank this size?

Heaters?
Filters? Sponge? Hangon?
Pumps?

Even though I have some extra equipment, I'm sure that there
are things that I'm forgeting about that I would need.

Thanks,
Steverd

Merrilyn
Sun Apr 02, 2006, 05:13 AM
Hello Steverd and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Hmmm shopping list for a 120g. Well you could add a lot of things to the list, but the following are essential on a tank that size.

Heaters - I'd go for 2 of them, around 300 W each, one at either end of the tank.

Filters - go for a good reliable cannister filter in a brand like Eheim or something of that quality. A top quality filter will last you for many years, and is well worth the investment. Get the largest your budget will allow, and run the outflow through a spraybar to diffuse the current.

Airpump - and airstones. Essential in a discus tank. Warm water hold less oxygen than cool water, so always have an airstone or two running.

UV Sterilizer - always a good form of insurance for valuable fish. Many people believe it weakens the fish's immune system because it makes the water sterile. NOT SO. Water in an aquarium will never be sterile, but what your UV unit will do, is reduce (not totally eliminate) the number of bacteria and pathogens floating in your water.

Water test kits - something a lot of people overlook, but you should do regular test on your tap water, as well as the tank water, so there are no nasty surprises.

Water change equipment - you'll be doing a lot of water changes on a discus tank, so work out the easiest way for you to manage this, whether it be using a hose, python, buckets or whatever. Sort it out now, and make it easy on yourself, or you'll find you begin to dread water change days.

Gravel - if you're going to go with a planted tank, then make sure the gravel you purchase won't alter the pH or hardness of your water. Rocks are not advised in a discus tank (unless they are well worn river pebbles) but some attractive pieces of driftwood always look good.

The rest will depend on how you are setting up the tank, either bare bottom, or planted, but that should give you a good basic start. :P

FishLover
Sun Apr 02, 2006, 07:21 PM
What is the PH level of your local water?

If you have to mess with it, you need a container about 40 G big to hold your water for treatment before adding it to the tank. In that case, you will need a good pump that can push water over the hight of your tank.

A long hose that can reach the water drain or outside of your house is always a good thing to have. You need to attach that to your gravel vac to clean the tank. You can use the same hose to attach to your tap for moving water into your container.

One last thing, make sure you leave enough room at the back of the fish tank. Once this thing is in place, you will not be able to move it. This thing weight about 1200 lb when all said and done. Make sure your floor can support that.

Steverd
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 02:23 AM
What is the PH level of your local water?

If you have to mess with it, you need a container about 40 G big to hold your water for treatment before adding it to the tank. In that case, you will need a good pump that can push water over the hight of your tank.

A long hose that can reach the water drain or outside of your house is always a good thing to have. You need to attach that to your gravel vac to clean the tank. You can use the same hose to attach to your tap for moving water into your container.

One last thing, make sure you leave enough room at the back of the fish tank. Once this thing is in place, you will not be able to move it. This thing weight about 1200 lb when all said and done. Make sure your floor can support that.

Thank you both for the ideas.
I am wondering about the placement of this tank, I started a new thread on this one and the weight issue..

Steverd