PDA

View Full Version : The Big Filter Question!!

redghan
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 10:06 AM
Hey only been kepping fish for a year now but have tried a few different filters (internal and external canisters) and now im just wondering what everybody else likes..
I am currently running a Fluval 404 (last one before changing to 405). I think it is great but ive only had in running for about 4 months now..not long at all i know. And the only thing i dont like is the powerful current it makes, i dont think the discus like it to much either, so i turned it down (via aqua stop) but noticed water quality drop and turned it back up. so now im working on a spray bar sett up.

What fliter devices do you guys prefer External canisters, hang ons, over the top (same as hang on side i quess), or good old air sponge filters..

Oh and what is the best brand of external filters?? Im quessing Ehiem is...judging by all the comments on here, but the ehiem range is a bit confussing..but i havent really looked at it as the local shop wont stock it as they belive that fluval is the best... I really am starting to hate my local shop with the more i learn.

PLease help me as im looking at buying some filters for a 4ft standerd and 3 ft standerd....

taksan
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 12:18 PM
OK
#1 Eheim craps on Fluval 4 series in every area
#2 Your local shop is proberbly charging you more for a Fluval then you can buy a Eheim online

#3 NEVER buy filters from a local shop ..online saves you 30-40%

For example the Eheim 2217 is only $270 at this reputable online store
http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=447

This is a vastly superiour filter to any 4 series Fluval and I'd bet its cheaper then your local shop would sell a 405 for