PDA

View Full Version : Beefheart????

RJ_Archer
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 02:57 AM
is ok too feed beefheart mix to discus because iv been WARNED not to feed beefheart mix or any WARM BLOODED animal products to cichlids is this tru or just a lie.....

marg
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 09:48 PM
RJ,

Whoever told you that is going to grow a nose like Pinnoccio's - Discus LOVE Beefheart mix - anyone on the Forum will tell you that :shock: :shock: !!!.

There are some really great Beefheart recipes in this Section of the forum, or you can mix and match to make one up that appeals to you, but either way your Discus will love it.

The only thing with Beefheart is to feed it sparingly - if you overdo it it will foul up your tank.

All my Discus love their Beefheart which is served up to them at Breakfast time (Discus being the Kings of the Aquarium world - therefore we serve them) because that is the time when they are hungriest as they have gone overnight with no food, just like us - Breakfast should be a healthy one to start the day well - and I might add that my Tetra's, Bristlenoses, Rams and Clown Loach also love their Beefheart.

Hope this clears things up for you.,

Regards,

Marg.

RJ_Archer
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 09:56 PM

marg
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 10:18 PM
No worries, glad that I could be of some help and dispel that myth for you..

I'm assuming that your informant was a Pet Shop Proprietor - and I'll bet he was pushing some of his Products at you at the same time.

This whole Forum really rocks - when I first started with Discus the Local Fish Shop told me some beauties regarding PH etc., so I only visit them to Buy Bloodworms (being country NSW I have no other choice, and I get a reall giggle at them now. Not long ago I asked them what worming Products they had in stock and they looked at me like I was mad.

I got a real buzz out of telling them how cheaply I buy my Tetra Bits for because you need to take a safe with you to buy theirs if you run out, but I didn't tell them where I got them from ( Sponsors of Discus Forum - Age of Aquarius).

They also told me at one time that I shouldn't be feeding Beefheart to my Fish (ha ha ha).

In saying the above I'm not suggesting that all Fish Shops are rip offs, but some are.

If at any time you need advice just put your question to this Forum - everyone here is only too pleased to offer their ideas and advice, and it's all Free into the bargain :D :D .,

Regards,

Marg.

Ben
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 11:48 PM
There have been cases where an exclusive diet of beef heart has led to intestinal blockages.

But as sensible discus keepers we feed a varied diet to out pets.

I must emphasise the word VARIED!

Some people will not feed discus beef heart as it’s not a natural food found in their wild habitat, but I guess neither is tetra bits!

If only 1 type of food is only fed this can lead to many problems such as intestinal blockages as mentioned above and nutritional deficiencies.

The other problem with beef heart mix is that it can pollute the water far quicker than any other homemade or commercial food. We combat this by feeding sparingly and any excess is siphoned 1 hour later.

Ben
:D

RJ_Archer
Sun Apr 02, 2006, 05:33 AM
but I guess neither is tetra bits!

:D
:P

Nathan
Sun Apr 02, 2006, 06:31 AM
i heard blood worm come give discus intstinal blockages?

nathan

marg
Sun Apr 02, 2006, 08:49 AM
Nathan,

I have never heard of that one. Maybe Ben or Ladyred can advise you with that question, mine have Bloodworms included in their Diet and I haven't seen one Fish with an Intestinal Blockage.

Just to give you some idea as to how I feed my Fish :

8.00am. Beefheart Mix.

9.00am. Siphon rubbish off tank Floor - 10% water change.

11.00am. Tetra Bits

2.00pm. Flake

5.00pm. Bloodworms & Frozen Brine Shrimp

6.00pm. Siphon rubbish off tank Floor - 25% water change

8.00pm. Tetra Bits

11.00pm. Flake

Mine have been eating Bloodworms ever since I started with Discus, and they love them.

Like Ben said, feed them a varied diet. I'm sure that if we ate steak only and nothing else - no veges, grains etc., we would get Intestinal Blockages too!!

Hope this helps.,

Regards,

Marg.