PDA

View Full Version : can i get some advice please

discalicious
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 12:06 PM
hi all me again, i have had my pairs in their tanks now for 3 weeks. i have had 1 pair lay but all eggs were unfertile.
i have seen the pairs cleaning the poles but no action.
i was wondering if there is anything i can do or use to get them spawning.
i do a 20% water change weekly. the water condition is spot on. around 29 deg and PH about 6.7
i have left the light on for the last 4 days (24hr a day)
and i dont know if that can have an affect.

any help would be much appriciated.
thanks all
Shane

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 12:19 PM
Hi Shane, try changing 20% of the tank water daily for a week or so, and increase the number of feedings they have each day.

If you normally feed them morning and night, then see if you can get another feeding in during the day or in the evening. Frequent small meals are good. Makes the fish think that there will be plenty of food for their fry.

Same thing with the daily waterchanges. The fish think it's the rainy season, their normal breeding season, when the water is very clean, and food is plentiful.

Don't worry about leaving the light on now. You do that after they have eggs, so they can see them and look after them.

Your fish really do want to breed, but they are waiting for everything to be right so they will be able to raise a successful brood.

It pays to try to think like a fish :wink:

discalicious
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 12:29 PM
thanks for that. i also want to know about the lights.
thanks
Shane

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 01:03 PM
Don't worry about leaving the light on now. You do that after they have eggs, so they can see them and look after them.

Leave your lights on for the normal daylight hours, and turn them off when you go to bed. Fish need to rest, just the same as we do.

I only leave the lights on 24/7 when the pairs have eggs or fry, then they can see and take care of their fry. The fry do better when they are feeding from the parents 24 hours a day too.

HTH

discalicious
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 10:40 PM
thanks for that i wuill do daily water changes for the rest of the week and only have the lights on in daylight hours.
thanks again
Shane & Ashley Baldwin

discalicious
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 10:44 PM
also i was wondering if there is some sort of additive that gets them a little toey???
thanks
Shane

Merrilyn
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 05:56 AM
Shane, a lot of folks are having success with using Indian Almond Leaves in their tank.

Check out this thread.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6004

discalicious
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 11:26 AM
would not believe it but 1 of the 8 pairs laid tonight. watched the whole thing.
must say WOW. not too many eggs, maybe 150 but the male gave it a real good cover so i can hope it all works out ok.
thanks
any more ideas would be great thanks
Shane