PDA

View Full Version : Water Changes - The Full Story

Anubias
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 04:45 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to setup a new drum for me to add water when i do water changes. Just wanted to run it by everyone to see if this is the right way to go about it, and ask a few questions.

I have a drum (actually an old council bin, but don't tell!) I fill with water 24 hours before adding to my tanks.
In the bottom of the drum is a pond pump, used to pump the water into my tanks.
I add water ager and turn the pump on, so it is pumping into itself for about half an hour.
Leave it 24 hours.
An hour before water change turn on the heater, which is inside the drum to get the water to temp. and add to the tanks.
I then add water conditioner and KH powder into the tank directly.

Now for my questions.
Do I need to heat the water in the drum? I have heard a lot of people adding room temperature water straight in to their tanks.
The drum obviously can't drain completely because of the pump, can I keep topping it up, or do i have to discard left-over water in the drum and fill it up with fresh stuff?

Any help or advice would be great.
Cheers!

Ben
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 11:02 AM
Having correct water for discus is a very important factor when keeping discus. Thus making water changing the most important factor!:D:

Do I need to heat the water in the drum? I have heard a lot of people adding room temperature water straight in to their tanks.

You would be able to water change using water at room temperature if you live up north like QLD, but here in Melbourne we need to heat the water during most months of the year. Changing water that is too cold could shock your discus and stress them, which could make them more prone to disease.

The drum obviously can't drain completely because of the pump, can I keep topping it up, or do i have to discard left-over water in the drum and fill it up with fresh stuff?

Topping up the water is fine; remember it is still "fresh" as fish have not polluted it.

Personally I would use an air stone running 24 hours, as this will keep the water well oxygenated.

You might find it will take a few hours to heat the water, something to work out.

I hope this answers your questions and if you have any more let us know!

Cheers
Ben
:D

Anubias
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 07:22 AM
Thanks Ben,

Now what do you reckon of this!

I've been asking a few people in aquariums about how they do water changes. One guy whose opinion i trust and has always been spot on with advice said this.

He said the biggest shock to discus in Melbourne is temperature. Always add water at the right temperature. Second he said that the chlorine etc in Melbourne water is quite low, so adding ager whilst the water is being pumped into you tank is fine. Finally, he concluded if you have a modern hot-water system ie. no copper, zinc, lead in the storage or piping, you could pump warm water straight from the tap adding ager as you go.

WELL!!! What do you think of that? If that is fine, I'd be laughing.

Cheers

Ben
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 08:22 AM
Personally i would sleep better if you add the anti chlorine still in the water storage drum and not into the tank. But in saying that you will get away with it in Melbourne.

How old and what type of hot water service is it?
If its a new non copper you will be able to use it but double check first.

Use water that is the same temp as the tank or 3 degree's cooler but no more.

HTH
Ben

Bad Inferno
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:12 AM
I do a small change daily and today for instance I changed 15% and when filling the temp changed by 1.2 degree over the 30 minutes. Do you think a 1.5 degree change over 30 minutes would shock discus.. I pump the water into the tank very slowly. 1.2 l/min and mix it into the canister return line.

I age the water for at least 2 days, used to ahve an airstone however for $5.00 purchased a corner filter and added some carbon /filter wool and poped my airstone in. Just alittle more added protection when you already ahve an airline to your storage tank.

rob.

aquaholic
Sat May 13, 2006, 07:25 AM
I am a newbie to the discus world but my system for water changes has been to fill buckets with set temp water from hot and cold taps and add water ager as they fill.Not sure wether this is right or wrong but fish are all happy.(can't stop them spawning:))
any thoughts?
cheers andrew

samir
Sat May 13, 2006, 07:40 AM
i do the same Andrew and haven't had a problem yet.

mcloughlin2
Sat May 13, 2006, 07:42 AM
I do the same as samir and andrew with my tanks...

:P

Phlipper
Sat May 13, 2006, 08:05 AM
I'm a little curious as to why aging chemicals are added to the storage drum at all. After a period of 24 hours with air bubbling in the water there should be no active chlorine left to cause problems ?

I just run all my water through an inline carbon filter which removes chlorine, I've been doing this for 2 years now without a problem. I have never been a great fan of storage drums unless they are kept very clean and scrubbed regularly, I worry that eventually harmfull bacteria will develope in the drums after a while........but maybe I'm mistaken ? 8-)

aquaholic
Sat May 13, 2006, 09:50 AM
I like the the inline carbon filter idear.Saves lugging the buckets
So does the filter draw from the bucket or is it turely in line.?The bucket would be nice if you needed to add other stuff:)

mcloughlin2
Sat May 13, 2006, 11:07 AM
I'm a little curious as to why aging chemicals are added to the storage drum at all. After a period of 24 hours with air bubbling in the water there should be no active chlorine left to cause problems ?

I just run all my water through an inline carbon filter which removes chlorine, I've been doing this for 2 years now without a problem. I have never been a great fan of storage drums unless they are kept very clean and scrubbed regularly, I worry that eventually harmfull bacteria will develope in the drums after a while........but maybe I'm mistaken ? 8-)

It all depends on location mate..

Some people have to add waterconditioner to remove harmful metals..

I personally add it so i can sleep better at night....

As per your question whether chlorine remover needs to be added to the storage drum i believe that there will still be chlorine in the water after 24hrs, however i may be wrong..

I have always been under the impression that it takes longer to remove chlorine that way... :? :D

Merrilyn
Sun May 14, 2006, 02:16 PM
The main reason I use water ager is because it removes chloramine and binds up heavy metals.

Chloramine is a much more stable form of chlorine, and is not removed simply by aging and aerating the water.

I confess to doing my water changes straight out of the tap with water set at 30 degrees, but I have a glass lined hot water system and new pipes, and I add Seachem "Prime" at every waterchange. Never had a problem. But it does depend on where your water comes from. If you know what's in your water, then you know how to treat it before it goes into your tanks.

aquaholic
Mon May 15, 2006, 09:19 AM
Merrilyn do you add your ager into your tank or pree tank?
Point taken on what's in your water first though.

thanks andrew