PDA

View Full Version : two filters better than one?

Topkath
Thu Mar 30, 2006, 08:55 AM
Hey All.

I've been given a 2nd hand tank with fish - due to my old tank cracking. Obviously, I didn't get a chance to clean it. Picture empty tank at 1st residence then filling it immediately at ours... I don't think the guy I bought it off cleaned the tank for the last few weeks and it's really dirty :evil: - I've been doing water changes every day for the last 5 days trying to keep the ammonia levels down while the filter is cycling, but it's taking some effort. In an attempt to clean the tank faster, is it a good idea to have two filters running at once? or will this do nothing but distress the fish with extra water cycling? Anyone have any ideas? 8-)

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 30, 2006, 10:26 AM
What readings are you getting from yout water tests. A second filter won't get your cycle over and done faster, unless you take it off another fully mature tank.

Just keep up with the water changes, and keep an eye on those levels. A thorough gravel vac and a cleaning of the glass will help.

Topkath
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 02:38 AM
Hi Ladyred...

I appreciate your comment. Ammonia levels have been around the 0.5ppm level with daily water changes. Leave it for two days and it's higher, obviously. I do vac the gravel every water change, but only have the water storage capacity to do a 25L change at a time, and whenever I put the fresh water in, there's heaps of gunk floating around the tank for about 10 minutes. I'm just trying to clean that out, not cycle any faster. I know it's been said that Discus like quiet water, not too much agitation, I was just wondering if the extra water motion wouldn't upset the fish too much. I guess I didn't word my original message quite the way I meant. :oops:

Thanks, in advance.

Bill T.
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 03:29 AM
How big is your aquarium?
I have a 240litre tank & I run two eheim canister filters (probably the smallest in their range), one each end. Works well. If you find the water is too turbulent, just turn your spray bars around so they discharge onto the back of the tank.
Would definitely get a U.V. steriliser - what bugs may have come with that tank.
Also would think about treating for flukes and worms once the biological filter is established.
Do you use a bio-starter to speed things up?
Anyway, if you have a pH less than 7.0, that level of ammonium shouldn't pose a huge problem - keep an eye on nitrite readings, however.

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 11:53 AM
Good suggestions Bill.

Kath, it sounds like the tank was pretty dirty before you got it, and every time you disturb the gravel, clouds of gunk float up.

By all means use a second filter if you have one.

Try to direct the current so that it circles around the tank. That way the filter intakes will be able to pick up most of the floating debris.