PDA

View Full Version : De-bunking a local rumour...

redghan
Thu Mar 30, 2006, 06:24 AM
Living in the country we only have one Aquarium store within 1 hour drive..... Yeh we are limited to buying from one store... sucks...really sucks..

But they are trying to tell me that "Aquasonics" has gone belly up, or simply dont make their "liquid fry starter" food anymore, and on top of that they are saying that "Bantanex" (not sure on spelling) has also been stopped due to a "cancer causing" substance..!
Can anyone confirm, or (pretty please) tell me this isnt true??????
Ive rang melbourne aquariums and they say they dont know nothing about it and are still stocking the products.. But my local aquairum is sticking by their word.. :?

Regards redghan

P.s. They are also (local aquarium) selling fluval 405 for $399.00, this is a complete rip off isnt it???

Proteus
Thu Mar 30, 2006, 08:06 AM
AquaSonic is alive and well, so someone is telling fibs.

I havent seen the liquid fry starter for a while though and honestly, IMOthey are a messy option, there are better fry foods available.

Could Bantanex be Bactonex? if so it is available here - http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=19

The same site also has Fluval 405's for $214.95

redghan
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 10:52 AM
thanks for the reply, i only wonderd about Aquasonic fry food cause ive used it and had results, could you recomend anouther fry food that i can buy that is always avaliable..

DiscusMad
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 01:54 PM
I am trying something I had come across from age of aquriums its a gel with water fleas in it and found it doese the job but now i don't seem to see it on the site now???

you can always use the old boiled egg yoke in water I have had good sucess with it

Cichlabxr
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 10:46 PM
I received a phone call from Sue Carson this morning. Her and her husband Richard started Aquasonics 40 years ago. Unfortunately Richard passed away suddenly during their re-location from Ingleburn to Wauchope. The company is still alive and well with over 5000 products. :D

Bactonex has been on the market now for 37 years and is definitely not carcinogenic. :lol:

This rumour has been put to bed.

Regards Martin

G-1000
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 07:47 AM
Redghan,

I think that things must be put into context - an aquarium store has a vested interest in providing you advice which will benefit them financially. The good LFS's are the ones who dont lie, who tell you what you need to know etc. The shops that lie and tell you garbage to sell products to you really do not deserve to have your business.

I dont know how many times I have been told not to buy Prime, and instead to buy aqua plus etc. Again - advice from most LFS's will come down to how much they can make off what they are selling - not what benefit the product has for your beloved fish.

Just be careful and read the information off this forum and you cant go wrong.

G

Cichlabxr
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:18 AM
Bactonex is registered with the Australian Pesticides & Veterinary Medicines Authority.

Aminacrine hydrochloride is a Schedule 5 Poison which requires the use of the word Caution on the label under NSW Health Dept Regs. It is used in various medications for humans. It is listed as a CLEANSER/SANITISER with the APVMA.

Methylene Blue is listed as a Dye-Blue. It is a quinone-imine dye of the thiazin sub group. It is highly toxic and an eye irritant. Though oft-touted as being a good "cure-all" for bacterial as well as protozoan pestilences of aquarium life, Methylene Blue is best described as a decent baceriostatic, safe chemical to help reduce the presence, spread of bacterial and fungal complaints on freshwater fish eggs... Best actually used as a simple dip additive, by itself or in conjunction with other compounds... to reduce the amount of light as well as aid in oxygen carrying capacity (often important).

These Constituents are used in greater levels in other registered Aquarium products