PDA

View Full Version : yeast vs pressurised co2 systems

Nathan
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 07:36 AM
has anyone used both? what are the differences and which ones are better?

nathan

Bad Inferno
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 08:39 AM
whatever type just get don't care however I would recommend an online ph meter so you can see what the CO2 is doing to your tank.

Nathan
Thu Mar 30, 2006, 05:30 AM
does any one know about a good oline ph metere link?

nathan

Bad Inferno
Thu Mar 30, 2006, 06:04 AM
http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/aacontrolpHANDORP.htm

vishy
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 08:32 AM
Hey,
I run a pressurised co2 bottle throught the milwaukee pH metre hooked up with a solenoid. Works and absolute treat. Especially on larger tanks(my 4x2x2) as it has constant pressure unlike the unreliable yeast method. Also being able to constantly monitor pH is very handy especially when dealing with co2 as u want to maintain correct levels, as if they r low or flactuating it generally leads to algae.
Thanks
Matt

vicky
Sun Apr 02, 2006, 07:02 AM
I agree vishy, The yeast method is no doubt cheap, but is very unstable and as far as i know the pressurised CO2 with solenoid is one of the best methods to give CO2, once you get the ph stabilized you don't even have to do regular pH tests.

Steverd
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:25 AM
I've had a pressured system for about 2 years now. I also use a Milwaukee PH control, I'm using the SMS122 works perfect..

I have a 10lb CO2 tank which last for about 6-7 months or more before refilling. The tank cost $100 USD and refills here are about $10-12USD.
SO once you purchase the tank, the refills are cheap.

It's great for keeping your PH stable, once you have it set, it just runs it's self, very easy to use.

Steverd

Brilliant
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 03:13 AM
Ive used both. Pressurized is needed for larger volume tanks with lots of plants. Ferm kit is good for smaller tanks. I use one in my nursery.

I have a regulator with a needle valve. Typical regulators that dont include the needle valve may drift or be hard to adjust. Needle valve=good thing.

You could also dose with Flourish Excel instead of co2.