PDA

View Full Version : Water Change Temperature ???????

jim from sydney
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 04:05 AM
Hi Friends of the "Kings"

Having tried almost all avenues to get my discus to breed, and without success I may add, I am now researching the effects of water temperature.

Some breeders feel that adding cooler water at a routine water change, sometimes stimulates the reproductive organs in discus.

So I have tried the following;
Original water temp= 29 degrees Celcius
40% water change with water temp = 27 degrees C
resulting in tank water temp = 28.2 C after water change. Ofcourse the temp will rise again to 29 degrees as preset by the thermometers.

To me it appears not to make the slightest difference in the behaviour of my friends. They may be a little more active for a few minutes, but I put this down to the fact that the water has been stirred a little, not to the change in temperature.

Should it be lowered more, or may a larger difference invite other problems?????
For example would it be OK to aim for a final temp. of say 27 degrees in the tank after the water change, if this is so than the new water would have to be at 24 degrees for a 40% water change.

So the question I have is this;
For our friends who feel that they had indeed success with this method of altering the water temperature, please let me know some values so I can try and see if indeed this may stimulate my little friends.

Thanks….Jim

Ben
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 05:04 AM
Hi Jim,

Below is what I do; it’s almost a sure thing!

In theory there is not much difference after doing a water change, less than 1.c.

To really get them in the mood, :shock: try the following.

Over 3 days raise the temperate to 32.c; maintain this temperature for 5 days. During this 5-day period do small 10% water every day with new water at the same temperature (32.c)

Then do a 50% water change using water that is 25.c
Adjust the heater set at 28.c and leave them for 2 days.

If this does not work the first time, try again in 2 weeks. If it still does not work the discus might not be ready yet.

*During the whole time maintain the PH 6.2-6.6.

Hope this helps and keep me posted. :D:

Ben

jim from sydney
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 05:52 AM
Ben......
thanks Pal.....i will try it and certainly keep you posted......
my regards to you.......Jim

RichVic
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 05:45 AM
Hi, Just wanted to add that, according to my book, in order to breed the Ph has to remain steady at 6.0 and keep general hardness under 50ppm. Then theres a bit about ".....adjusting carbonate hardness is and ideal way of controlling Ph Without increasing Gh." Untested, as i'm a newbie, but if nothing else is working, perhaps give this a go?
Good luck
Vicki

jim from sydney
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 09:57 AM
Vicky

.....thanks for your input......presently i am working on Ben's method....the first attempt gave no results, am now in phase2 of his method....

am also in the process of a big research on all water parameters and the effect on breeding these have......there is so much data available that it needs a lot of time and effort to form a conclusion that is suitable to my scenario.......

never the less it is great to be able to have so much input available......

thanks again... :blob ..Jim

Ben
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 11:32 AM
Keep us posted Jim!
any time soon mate!

cheers
Ben

wickedglass
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 04:03 PM
maybe a naked dancing-pleco in the tank next door will help put them in the mood? ;)

good luck with your breeding efforts!

marg
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 02:28 AM
Maybe you could dress up a Pair of really Pretty Discus (one for him, one for her) and get them to do a slow striptease in the next door tank - lights dimmed, bottle of bubbly, Incense in the Air, plate of juicy Oysters - get the Picture - works with Humans :lol: :lol: :lol: .,

Regards,

Marg.

jim from sydney
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 02:46 AM
Keep us posted Jim!
any time soon mate!

cheers
Ben

am working on it Pal.......Jim

jim from sydney
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 01:35 AM
Ben.....Hi Pal

You are a genius :!: :!: :!:

Your breeding method .... :blob WORKS :blob ......

My Snake skin female and Eruption male have joined up and laid eggs on Easter Monday after carefully following your program.......

It was fun to watch for about the 3/4 hr that it took.

I will attache a picture....

Will keep you up todate with the progress....

Thanks Bud.. :wave2

Ben
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 02:06 AM
Well-done Jim!

I will forward you my banking details to deposit the money.
:wink: :wink: :P
Keep me posted on how they go!

Cheers
Ben
:D

rytis
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 02:47 AM
mine layed eggs sunday, was that easter? didnt ever realise. anyway, mine did it solo i think, but eggs look ok, i only watched for couople of minutes didnt want to disturb, but only female was sliding around, male was just standing and watching, or maybe it was a male and imissed the first part? anyway, eggs look good!!

jim from sydney
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 07:21 AM
Well-done Jim!

I will forward you my banking details to deposit the money.
:wink: :wink: :P
Keep me posted on how they go!

Cheers
Ben
:D

Ben Ha Ha HA .. :oops: ..i already have your banking details, when you sold me some leaves.....1-0 to me :blob2

sure will keep you posted.