PDA

View Full Version : Product review: Jebo 36 W UV

FishLover
Mon Mar 27, 2006, 05:49 PM
I just bought this one and installed it to my 125 g discus tank.

Cost: $68 plus $20 for s&h on e-Bay. You may want to add another $20 for a slower pump. Maybe few $ for connection tubes.

It comes with a pump, which is a bit too fast (350 gph) for it. I think the pump was intended for pond usage to control alge. I replaced it with a 127 gph pump because I read somewhere says that you want the flow rate to turn over your entire tank at least every two hours. I guess I'm a bit faster than that but I have a bigger wattage required for 125 g tank. It is rated good for at least 200 g tank (maybe more).

Installation was simple. I had to get some tubes to connect it. You can not put this one inside the tank so I put it on top of the tank. I cut two holes on the tank cover for in and out water flow. The unit is kind of big but it can hide behinde the light system that I have. The installation was really not as hard as I thought (mind you, I had trouble even install the flapper of the toilet in my house). No noise. I think most of the noise comes from the water pump and since the 127 gph pump was in the tank before this installation, there were no additional noise added. (I used it to move the water around)

This is a cheap unit and I will have to wait for few more months to see how it goes. So far no leaking and other problems. Since I put it on top of the tank, leaking may not be a serious problem as otherwise.

Some people would say you get what you pay for, which is correct. I just want some UV to kill the bad thing. How long it will last? I will let you know when it broke :wink: So far so good and it it way too short for a really good review.

Ben
Mon Mar 27, 2006, 10:42 PM
Thank you very much for the review.

Any chance of a picture of the unit set up?

For us Aussies 3.78 litres = 1 gallon.

Cheers
Ben

FishLover
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 02:17 PM
Update:
This unit has been running since Mar 28 and I notice my water is now much more clear than before.

Also, my discus are healthier. I used to have some kind of fin damage and white spots from time to time on one or two of them. Sometimes I had to use some meds to help them. Not any more. Also, I don't have that much of an algae problem even after I switched to Discus Buffer.

For the cost (about $90 in total), I think it is a good deal. Heck, I spent average about $20 for meds each month just to keep them out of trouble in the past. I also saved about $30/month by switching from peat to Discus Buffer. I can see I get my money back in two to three month. I will have to change the bulb, which is about $30 for every 6 to 8 months.

I don't have a picture yet. Too busy lately.