PDA

View Full Version : Food 4 fry?

RJ_Archer
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:12 PM
whats the main foods i should be feeding to my discus fry(when i get them).....iv been told BBS,bloodworms,good flake,tiny pellets.....would they be ok to feed???

....Thanks Ryan....

Crocky
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:54 PM
Hi Ryan

Ben is the man you want to talk to about this as he can grow fry to 2inch in half the time I can.

Brad

RJ_Archer
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:29 PM
Cheers... :lol:

Ben
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:02 AM
LOL Brad!

If only I could breed them like you do!

After they have been weaned off the live brine shrimp, I feed mostly a highly nutritious beef heart mix.

Supplemented with frozen adult brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms and dried discus pellet.

I don’t like to feed too much of the frozen brine shrimp and blood worms as it does not seem to be as nutritious as a beef heart mix is.

There are a few beef heart recipes on the forum.
With mine though I add huge amounts of spirulina this seems to get the extra growth on young discus and helps their immune system.

But there is one down full to adding more than normal amounts of spirulina to a beef heart mix, it creates algae on aquarium glass and it will need to be cleaned as much as every 3rd day.

Presides good food water quality is very important if not more! Big water changes need to be made twice per day! As polluted beef heart will kill young discus very quickly.

HTH

Ben

Proteus
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:36 AM
personally I would ditch the BS over one of the new foods that is out there.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6364

I have tried it and it rocks

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:42 AM
I've tried it too, and I must say my fry loved it.

Crocky
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:58 AM
Hi Proteus/ladyred

How big are the fry your feeding none of my will touch it,but saying that I'm pumping alot of bbs into them.I still think we will have to start fry off on bbs then introduce these dry foods later say from 7 to 10 days free swimming.I have 2 lots of wrigglers one just hatch and the other attached so I will try this new fry food on them before they ever see bbs,maybe that the trick.

Brad

Proteus
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 02:24 AM
Brad have you got the 100 micron food or the 500 micron size?

for small fry the 100 micron predisolved works a treat, from my own experience anyway.

RJ_Archer
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 04:17 AM
thanks.....wat meats(crustation/worm) can be feed to discus

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 04:59 AM
RJ, I get them onto very finely grated beefheart as soon as possible, and also finely chopped frozen bloodworms. You could also feed finely minced prawns.

I've been trialing that new fry food on my two week old red alenquer fry, and they seem to love it.

I think a good mixture of all of the above is the key to good growth rates.

That and daily water changes. Can't stress the importance of water changes too much.

RJ_Archer
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 05:38 AM
ill be doing 15-25% water change 2 times a day

Crocky
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:17 AM
Hi proteus

I got the 100 micro food but i haven't mix it with any water first,i just been putting a small amount into tank and giving it a stir.I have seen the fry pick it in there mouth and spit it straight back out.So can you tell me how your getting your fry to eat it as hatching bbs gives me the headache.

Brad

Proteus
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:32 AM
I can only refer to what 3-4 week fry do, and they accpeted it instantly.

Maybe it is a time thing, or the fact that they just love the bbs you give them and they know how annoying it is for you... lol

:wink:

Crocky
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 08:54 PM
I think that might be it.
If they only new that Jo ( the other half) would feed them while I was at work with this dried food and how good it is for them.
Who out there know how to talk fish...lol