PDA

View Full Version : Discus Buffer

FishLover
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 02:48 PM
Any one used this product?

I'm thinking of use it instead of peat so I don't have to treat my water for hours.

I did a small test yesterday. Here are the result of the PH readings
My Tap water 7.90 (it goes to 8.5 within 24 hours)
After adding Discus buffer 7.08
I did more tests and the reading stayed around 7.08 to 7.11 this morning. No ups or downs for the last 12 hours so far.

I'm going to do one more test tonight to make sure it stays the same. Then I will go for the water change. This way I can finish the whole thing in 45 minutes or so. I used to treat my water with peat for about 8 hours in order to have a stable PH reading! AND, this is much cheaper. About $5 can treat 800 g of water, which is 20 times of my water change amount. It should last me about for about 100 days. About 15% of money I spent on peat!

Wow, why didn't I learn this before? I was spending all the time and money for nothing.

Anything else should I watch for? Is there a catch? I'm going to install the Jebo 36 W UV to control the alge and other nasty things tonight too. Oh boy, oh boy, I'm excited.

Ben
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:16 PM
Seachems discus buffer is a great product to use!

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/DiscusBuffer.html

Adjusting the water parameters with discus buffer is easy, efficient and safe.

It could prove costly if using it on many tanks but less than several would be ok.

HTH

Ben

FishLover
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks Ben.

I did the water change last night and everything is OK. My water is much clear because of no more peat treatement.

I also installed the Jebo 36 W UV. Hopefully it will control alge and other nasty things.

I will let it run for few days and watch the results.

I only have one 125 discus tank (yet) so the cost is not much. Plus, if I decided to use it all the time, I can buy 1 kg at a time and the price goes down about 20% more.

oscar
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 03:49 AM
I've used Seachem discus buffer before and had an algae bonanza due to the phosphates in the product.

FishLover
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 04:59 PM
You are right Oscar. They have acid buffer which is not phosphates based product but less effective.

I have installed an UV system and hope that will keep the algae in control. Otherwise, I will switch to Acid Buffer.

Anything is better than the peat treatment that I had to go through. My water is just too hard for peat and the cost is getting out of hand. $6 of peat will give me about 2 water changes. $6 of Discus Buffer gives me about 20 water changes.