PDA

View Full Version : RSG that 'ditch' fry

Squid
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 12:31 PM
Hi all - I've noticed some real interesting behaviour with my RSG. They will ditch the fry on various obstacles and then go about their business on holiday elsewhere in the tank. They always come back to collect them though. Usually the male just swims off and sheds them on whatever he feels like. A very common ditching spot is the spawing pot or sponge filter. Anyone else seen this - as I have only seen it a few times in over 25 years of breeding them?!? Wild caught fish sometimes do this. Anyone else got any stories like this

Squid

Crocky
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 12:45 PM
Hi squid

I have a couple of pair them do it all the time.They just swim straight towards there spawning site (a pot),then do a quick u-turn leaving the babies behind.

Bard.c

sammigold
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 01:17 PM
Hey Brad, I see you have become a "Bard" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shakespeare would be proud!!! roflmao :lol:

sorry :P Couldn't resist!!!!

Crocky
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks sammi

I did see that but I was closeing the computer down and couldn't be bothered fixing it.
If you like I become bard.

Sir bard

Squid
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 03:30 AM
Hey Crocky -I've seen it before but never in hybrids and inbred stuff. The wild fish will sometimes leave their young on a plant leaf. The wild fry are much more well trained than this unruly bunch. They will stick to the plant like glue and will only depart for mum/dad when they come back for them. Very cool to see this in the hybrid varieties - although I suspect these Asian RSG's are crosses between good quality red turks and wild caught Coari reds/RSGs. This would explain the symetry of the colouration and barring.