PDA

View Full Version : SMELLY TANK!

Simone
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 02:39 AM
Hello Everyone

I have a strange problem, my tank seems to be a little smelly and i dont know why, ive done a couple of waterchanges thinking it was ammonia but there isnt a trace, my discus dont seem fussed by it. They are in a planted tank so would it be the roots of my plants rotting or something like that. I have never had this problem before.

Any insight very much appreciated!

Simone

sammigold
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 04:08 AM
can you describe the smell.... ie.. strong fishy or stagnant etc..

all tanks will have a slight odour if you put your nose right up its hard to explain what it smells like though :? sort of like the inside of your local aquarium... (thats what mine smells like anyway...)

Dont you wish we scratch and sniff computer screens or
"send a smell"- mail :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Simone
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 05:01 AM
Its not so much a fishy smell i know that smell its grose :!: i pulled my tank apart thinking the gravel might have been a little dirty and it seemed to be really stong in the plants thats what made me think it was them.

Scratch and sniff emails, that would be interesting. :P

sammigold
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 05:28 AM
It might just be a natural smell....I suppose all you can do is keep an eye on your water parameters and your fish... they will soon tell you if something is wrong... Like you said it might just be the plants...they do eat up waste and use it as fert... so it could be the natural smell of waste breaking down in amongst the plant root system... sorry I cant help anymore than that.... maybe somebody else will be able to shed some light....

revkev
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 05:48 AM
Try poking a stick into the gravel if you see bubbles coming up from the gravel you mite have rotting plants under the gravel.The gravel will be black underneath.
Revkev

Ben
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 08:15 AM
Fish tanks have a certain smell just like any other pets do.
Maybe check behind the tank as sometimes an escapee could have bailed out.

Simone
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 09:19 AM
Sammigold, thanks for trying but i think revkev is onto something there as i did see bubbles come outta the rocks but i thought it was a good sign; ie: bubbles = oxygen. How do i fix that revkev trim the roots?
Ben as i had never smelt it before thats what makes me wonder what it was i thought something might have escaped but i did a roll call and everyone was there! :)

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 09:52 AM
Hello Simone and welcome to the forum.

Can you tell me the results of your water tests, pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I need the actual numbers.

How deep is the gravel in your tank, and how many plants do you have in there? Do you do weekly gravel vacs?

It sounds as if you may have stagnant pockets of anaerobic bacteria building up under the gravel. As the gas is released, it has a peculiar smell, like rotten eggs. You can do a lot to help your tank by removing your rock, and doing a thorough gravel vac underneath it. This will stir up your gravel and remove a lot of the gas.

If you're going to replace the rock, then bury it well down in the gravel and add a few quick growing plants to the tank.

All of that should help remove some of the odour.

revkev
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:08 AM
check if you have black gravel under the top layer if so it could mean a complete clean up and yes it stinks!!
hope this helps Revkev

Simone
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:18 PM
Hi Ladyred, thanks im a long time reader first time poster...hehe! :) my ph is 6.6 nil ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as i did a water change last night. My gravel is quiet deep about 5 - 6cm deep. revkev i did that the other night and the odour seems to be subsiding i will just pull my tank apart again today and trim the plants back. Thanks for your help guys...much appreciated!!