PDA

View Full Version : problems with fluval fx5

endless
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 12:58 AM
ok my fluval fx5 is kinda giving me the shits. i was wondering whether i have a faulty unit or that what im experiencing is a normal occurance. my problem is that the flow rate of my fx5 decreases significantly after only one week of running. when i clean the unit there is not much build up of debris which is why im lead to believe that my filter is faulty. Either that or i may have too much filter media in the fx5. below is the filter media im using

top basket: ceramic noodles and bioballs
second basket: eheim ehfisubstat
bottom basket: wool

Can anyone with an fx5 tell me what media they are using in each basket

hey taksan can u tell me what media you have in each of your fx5 baskets?

Ben
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 01:35 AM
Just a thought, but the bottom basket with the filter wool could be condensing together thus slowing the rate of the flow....

Ben

endless
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 02:21 AM
Thats what i thought ben. so about a week ago i put new filter wool in and also decrease the amount of wool but still the same problem. i might try using no filter wool at all and see what happens. i really would like to know what other people are using in their fx5

taksan
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 03:28 AM
No need for wool in the bottom as there is already 25 litres of sponge around the sides. Uncontained wool simply wraps around the impeller and impairs performance. In all cannisters I prefer to use pads supllied by the manufactuer specificaly for the filter model as I find this decreases impairment significently.
My 6 FX5's are set up as follows :
Top basket EFMech
Middle Substrat Pro
Bottom Substratpro and 2 bichemzorb bags

I rinse out the sponges once per month and I've never had issues with the flow restricting. I'd suggest if you desire finer mechanical filtration that you purchase the fluval fine filter pads designed especialy for the FX5 and place them at the BOTTOM of the bottom or middle baskets (underneath the other media).
Now ... they first 50 FX5's had a mistake in their pump and were recalled its possible although unlikely you might have one of those as I've simply had no issues at all.

endless
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 06:38 AM
Thanks taksan. I'll take the wool out tonight and try the following combination.

second basket: ehfisubstrat
third basket: efisubstrat

how does that sound?

btw what exactly was wrong with the first 50 fx5

taksan
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks taksan. I'll take the wool out tonight and try the following combination.

second basket: ehfisubstrat
third basket: efisubstrat

how does that sound?

btw what exactly was wrong with the first 50 fx5

I'd kill the bioballs and go noodles then the eheim
check the impeller for wool fibres too

The first 50 had a faulty batch of pump controllers

goldenpigeon
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:02 AM
i wouldnt use bio balls in a canister myself. bioballs are better used in sumps etc.

taksan
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 01:56 PM
Yes if your talking plastic bioballs like in sumps I certainly wouldn't be using them in a pressurized cannister filter of any type. Biological cannister media should really be smaller and also be porous.

endless
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:23 AM
yeah i know but i only have little bit of noodles left. im just using the bioballs to fill up space in the top basket

oscar
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 03:40 AM
I'm running:
Top - Activated carbon and Ehfisubstrat
Middle - Ehfisubstrat
Bottom - Ceramic Noodles (The bio kind, not the mechanical ones)

No probs here.

I have though, noticed that the filter seems to make a bit more noise than it first did. A very low level hummm...

AussieStar
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 09:55 AM
yer oscar im running same as you in my 180g africian malawi setup and no prob here, had wool in the bottom during this 4 weeks put took it out and much better flow rate now

endless
Sun Apr 09, 2006, 09:42 AM
yep it was the wool that was creating the slow flow rate. Now that i have taken it out the filter is working perfectly