PDA

View Full Version : Really huge fat stomach....Not eating :(

Druz
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 11:30 PM
Hi guys,

I need help again.

I have a pair of pearl discus adult size and one has a really fat stomach.
Now, the male with the fat stomach hasn't eaten anything for around a week now and the female all of a sudden stopped eating.

They are still both active especially the male eventhough he has a fat stomach still likes to impress the female by dancing etc. No signs of dark colour, hex or white poo as yet.

PH is 6.8 and i still need to test nitrate and ammonia. A 20% water change is done everyday and it's a bare bottom tank with only a sponge filter and a breeding cone in it.

BTW, i've omly had this pair for 7 days.

I've treated the pair with lavemisole 2 days ago but this hasn't improve the male with his fat stomach.

Should i treat it with aquamaster tape and fluke?

Any help would be very grateful.

Druz
Thu Mar 23, 2006, 07:44 AM
Just an update.

Here are some pictures.
Can someone tell me where to buy epsom salt?

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=894
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=892
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=890
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=889
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=893

Ladyred, your expert advice would be much appreciated.

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks.[/code][/url]

dachoo
Thu Mar 23, 2006, 08:16 AM
Hi
You can buy Epsom Salts(Magnesium Sulfate) at any chemist shop.
David

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 23, 2006, 11:48 AM
That's really quite an extreme swelling on that fish. Have you seen him pass any droppings at all while you've had him.

If there is a blockage of some kind, then certainly espom salts will help to move it through.

Think I'd try this before I tried the tapeworm tablets.

Druz
Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:41 PM
Thank you LR.

I'll grab some epsom salts on my way home from work.

Does normal salt help at all?

I stopped by Safeway yesterday and was unable to see it anywhere.

Thank You again...

dachoo
Thu Mar 23, 2006, 10:58 PM
Normal salt are Sodium Chloride, it a different thing. But it will help a little if the blooating is duel to toxin.
David

sammigold
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 04:32 AM
When I went looking for them I looked in the laundry section where they have the electric soda etc... but it wasnt there.. (it used to be) but now they keep it with the health/vitamin, stomach anti acid stuff... up on top shelf at my safeway.... ask the people at the front desk (I did and he took me straight to it)

Good Luck :D

Druz
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:32 AM
Update.

Hi LR,

I've just come home and notice feces hanging from his vent. Seems like its just hanging there.

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:52 AM
Well that's good news at least. It means something is getting through. Dose with the epsom salts, and keep your fingers crossed.

You'll see results within 24 hours if it's going to help.

Proteus
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:10 PM
:(

I have seen this before... (Bunga raya)

good luck.

Druz
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:41 PM
Update.

He still has a fat stomach, but it's only been just over 12hrs now :(

Hi Proteus,

I've read your article on the bunga raya and now i'm more worried than before :(

I'm still praying :(

Is this contagious?

Should i take out the female and leave the male in there by himself?

One last thing, what's the correct treatment with epsom? I know it's 1 tsp per 40 litres but do i need to repeat that treatment after a certain period and is water change required?

Regards,

Druz

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:39 AM
Epsom salts is a single dose only treatment (it's a laxative). After 24 hours, just do your normal water changes. Good luck.

Druz
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:53 AM
Thanks LR.

Proteus
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 07:31 AM
Druz, follow the advice you have been given. In all honesty I would very much doubt that your fish has the same thing, more a case of constipation.

Bill T.
Mon Mar 27, 2006, 12:50 AM
So, how is that constipated fish of yours getting on?
If you happen to live in the Melbourne region, and if nothing else is working, I have some little heard of "magic" that might just work (i.e. cure it or kill it!).

Druz
Mon Mar 27, 2006, 04:35 AM
Hi Bill,

He's still the same as before. I've done a water change and given him another dose of epsom salts.

What do you mean by this "magic" thingy. Is this some type of medication?

Regards,

Druz

G-1000
Mon Mar 27, 2006, 06:40 AM
Gday Druz,

Has your fish dropped any poo yet ?

What does it look like if so ?

G

Druz
Mon Mar 27, 2006, 06:43 AM
Hi G1000,

He has done only a few drops. I've just come hom from work and he's now lost his balance. He's facing upwards. This seems serious.

Please help

Bill T.
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 05:49 AM
Hey Druz.
What happened to that fish?

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 05:58 AM
Druz, I'm starting to think that this might be a tumor of some kind, that has grown so huge, it's blocking the intestine.

If this is the case, and the fish dies, then I suggest you freeze him and take him back to where you got him, for them to have a look. They will probably want to open him up.

If that's the case, then they sold the fish to you with the tumour already growing. It can hardly have developed in the week that you had him. I'd be inclined to ask for a replacement or refund.

Good luck.

jim from sydney
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 06:42 AM
Druz.....i went to an ADA meeting once and someone had a similar problem.....experts thought it was because of a change in food that caused gaslock in its stomach......in your case it could well be the same as you only had it for a week or so and there would have been a change in food and eating habits.

the solution that was presented by this person at the meeting....believe it or not......take the fish in the palm of your hand and VERY gently sqeeze and massage its tummy a little to see in the bloating will reduce by moving the gas around and eventually the gas will be expelled......you may try it a few times.........do it gently.....keep the salt baths up it will help anyway.....it may not work for you but you can only try ......Jim.

Druz
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 03:52 AM
Hi Everyone,

Firstly i like to say Thank You to LR, Jim and Bill.T who have helped in trying to save this lovely fella.

Jim....i did squeeze his stomach gently on the very last crucial moment of his life but i was so scared ans stopped when i witness blood coming out from his mouth.

He passed away the following day :(

Regards,

Druz

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 05:42 AM
Druz, so sorry to hear of the loss of your lovely discus.

Sometimes fish suffer from complaints that are well out of our range of treatment.

I know you did everything possible for him. Sadly it was probably some kind of incurable tumour. :(

Bill T.
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 10:53 PM
Yeewwwwk! Blood coming out of it's mouth. Not a good sign at all!

I am amazed at how intense these little critters can make us feel, especially when one of them gets sick....or dies spewing blood from it's mouth....sounds more like a Clint Eastwood movie than a discus aquarium!

How are the rest of your fish getting on? Any similar signs?
Hopefully this was something like a tumor and the other fish will not be affected. (I reckon you should at least tell the lfs what happened. There might be a problem their supplier, especially if they have a number of similar complaints.)

If you do notice similar symptoms developing, I suggest taking quick action. Please do keep us posted.

marg
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 11:46 PM
Druz,

Sorry to hear of your loss. It is heartbreaking when something like that happens. How are your other Fish?

I would be going and having a talk to your supplier - sounds to me like he was sick when you purchased him.

Worth a try anyway.

Regards,

Marg.

jim from sydney
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:03 AM
Druz......you tried Pal.....mother nature plays tricks on us...often....she does this to test you out to see how strong you are and how much you care for the other fish......so buy yourself another little friend and love it as much....live does go on....you tried and believe me you have succeeded although you may not feel like it right now.......Jim.

sammigold
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:49 AM
Druz, I am very sorry to hear about your discus... it sounds like you tried absolutely everything so I think you should be proud of yourself for trying so hard... It is so distressing when you dont know what is wrong. I really feel for you...