PDA

View Full Version : shy discus... help!

crazyfrog
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 07:06 AM
My discus are very shy. Whenever there some movement in front of the tank, they will quickly went back to their hiding spot. They won't come out on feeding time. Only come out when their are no movement near the tank.
Help....!

RJ_Archer
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 08:24 AM
mine do the same thing.....feed them bloodworms or live worms and that will get em out also

crazyfrog
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 09:15 AM
I did feed them blood worm. Same thing. Never come out. As soon as all lights went out, they will come out. :?

Squid
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 10:45 AM
Crazyfrog - I have had the same problem in the past. A good thing to do is buy more discus mates for them and get rid of plants/hiding spots. Remember they are a schooling fish - and feel safer in numbers. Sometimes I've just found it comes down to moving the tank position - Oscars sometimes have this problem too. My guys are kept in good numbers until I extract a few for breeding - and they have no gravel/plants etc. Forces them out into the open.

Squid

jim from sydney
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 07:12 AM
you could try some tankmates for additional activity in your tank........a dozen or so cardinals may help...Jim

crazyfrog
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 08:56 AM
I currently have six cardinal tetras and 1 cory catfish. My 2 Discus seems to like the catfish. Still too shy.

Del
Sun Mar 26, 2006, 02:45 AM
Discus prefer being in small groups so if you have the space, crazyfrog - put in another few discus...

I used to have 2 discus in a 3ft planted tank but they were really shy - now I have 6 (also 20 assorted tetras and 5 siamese flying foxes) and now they are really social. There is always activity in the tank and it is a pleasure to watch the antics...

Keep your lights on until about 10pm or so (8-9 hrs of light is fine per day)

DEL

goldenpigeon
Sun Mar 26, 2006, 03:07 AM
it is for this reason that i keep all my tanks as heavily stocked as possible. i keep up with my water changes and maintanence so i can keep all of mine social. in the last 3-4 year i have never had a problem with an anti-social discus!!! if i buy a shy one as soon as i gets into thetank it is out the front with the rest.

mine are all kept in bare bottom tanks, back, sides and bottom is painted blue with a potted sword or 2 and fairly good light. also have 2 large gibbies in the main tank and have never had a problem.