PDA

View Full Version : NEED SOME HELP ON ILLNESS

KONA
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 03:09 AM
Sorry for posting all over this forum...lol... I have been running back in forth from the computer to the tank. I know this should be in the sickness part of the forum but I just figured more people look at this one more.

Water Par. = ammonia- 0

nitrates = 10

Ph = 6.8-7.0

They have been acting really wierd. I now noticed that a lot of them are doing better since i added a powerhead and airstone. the breathing is not like it was. I think the plants at night were sucking up all the Oxygen.

But now they have some weird disease. My oldest and biggest discus has now caught it along with the others. It is on his fins and it looks like it is directly behind his fins on his scales in the shape of the fin. It is also on the outline of the rear fin. they are for sure sick! I just intoduced 3 new fish about a week ago that were said to be treated. But who knows with online retailers. Could it be just stress since I have dont rearranging to the tank with plants and added new fish? I knoe that it is not over populate cause I only have 6 discus in a 100 gallon tank. I turned the temp up to 86 and added some stress relieve with discus essentials. What can I do? waht should I do? My discus are my pride and joy even better than saltwater. I have tried to upload pic but it is not letting me. I will try and shrink the pic. I appreciate it and enjoy this site! much thanks to all the respones from my last posts!!! Thanks a mill

KONA

FishLover
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 02:40 PM
We need better descriptions of the sickness.

As a general rule, fish do carry all kinds of nasty stuff and the shipping may cause these things to fire up. You should Q the new fish to less the risks.

Stress will fire up the nasty things for sure. Also, the new fish could be carry something that your other fish never encounter before. The new fish could handle it and your other fish may have a tough time to deal with it.

Bill T.
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 10:09 PM
The one big thing I have learned both from Discus Forums, and distressing life experience, is never put new fish straight in with your prized darlings in an established, healthy system.
Always quarantine new fish for as long as you can & treat them for worms, parasites, etc. before letting them loose.
Also, do you have a U.V. steriliser? I had a lot of trouble with mystery diseases until I installed one. Now I have had two red turqs for over two years and two pidgeons for about 1 year. All healthy and happy!

KONA
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:18 PM
ok today... they have a bunch of little white dots on them which I believe is ICH. Buit there is a fe that have white puffy lines on the outside of their scales. What is this? they are not doing much better but seem more active since I turned the heat up to 86.F...

WHAT do I do?:

should I pull the plants out and treat them? I was scared to pull the plants out cause it might stress the fish. But the plants I can put in a cin and light over that.

should I just do a huge water change? I did a 15% today should I do another?

is there a safe product out there that wont kill my plants?

anybody?

thanks

sharn
Fri Mar 17, 2006, 10:10 AM
ich is not hard to get rid of at all, your waters fine just add some aquarium or un-iodised table salt at 1tbsp per 10 gal (thats the pleco rule and itd be better to play on the safe side until someone like LR etc can say if the 5gal rule is safe) if it looks like theyve been sprinkled with salt they probably do have it, not to worry though, like i said its not hard to get rid of. you will have to keep that treatment up for around 2-3 weeks as you kill the ich in its free swimming stage (after the cyst has dropped to the bottom and hatched open). the salt can affect your plants though so wait for more info on that!

i am not sure what the puffy lines could be, if theyre fluffy theyd be fungus.

water changes will be a great help, keeping that water in tip top shape will give your discus that extra boost to heal :D

KONA
Fri Mar 17, 2006, 08:18 PM
thankyou sharn very much. I added a organic prevent ich and ich attack by Kordon. seems to be helping. thanks again for the care

Kona