PDA

View Full Version : Treating water

paulsa67
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 11:09 PM
In what way do u treat the water,Do you just leave it over night or do you add chemicals???

Daetarek
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 11:46 PM
Your best off using a chemical like prime, as it removes chlorine and chloramine, leaving for a min of twelve hours will remove most if not all chlorine, and cause a break down in the chloramine (chlorine and ammonia i think), but extended use of this method may cause damage and stress to your fish.

I have found the best method is to treat my water and leave it overnight, it gives a more stable water to add to the tank, i have found that the pH, KH and GH fluctuate a little after treatment and it is best to settle them down.

hope this helps, maybe someone else has a different point of view or some corrections to make but i hope it helps for now.

ta
Rob

FishLover
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 02:57 PM
I have a 45 g container that holds about 40% of my tank water.

I treat the water with prime to remove chlorine and chloramine. Then use a canister filter loaded with peat to lower the PH level for about 7 hours. I then use a pump to pump the water into my tank when the water temp and PH are almost the same as the tank water.

That's just the way I do it. People have different routine. I find that's less stresssful for my fish because I can control PH and water temp better that way. Also, I don't have to worry about the chlorine and chloramine that may kill my fish or filter.

I guess if you are changing small amount (10%) of water, you may be able to add the tap water into the tank and add prime to treat it. If you are changing more water, the risk of stress or kill the fish is higher.