PDA

View Full Version : Help... My fish are sick

KONA
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 06:28 PM
Hello everyone. 2 of my fish are not eating and the rest are breathing hard. It seems to me that they only use one fin a lot of the time. is that normal? I think the 2 have fin rot or our getting it. I dont have a hospital tank but wish i did. I cant treat them in my planted tank cause it will kill my plants, right? maybe I was told wrong but is there anything I can do? Thankyou and much appreciated.

marg
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 11:55 PM
Kona,

I'm no expert, but heres' what I have learnt from this great site:

You definately need to isolate your sick Fish, so go to somewhere like Clints Warehouse or Big W and buy a cheap tank and a corner Filter - shouldn't set you back too much (actually Big W has a tank which has a lid with a Light and Filter included for under $60.00).

Transfer the sick Fish into it and start Salt treatment (3 tablespoons of Rock Salt NOT Tablesalt to 45 gallons) , and watch for all symptoms. The Salt will help with the Finrot and Salt should be used if your Fish are looking ill before you try any treatments, then post them on this site and someone Like Ladyred or Ben will advise you further.

It would also be an idea to post the Water Parameters in your main tank at the same time - that may help in diagnosing what is wrong.

Don't use Salt near your Plants - it will definately kill them.

Hope this helps.,

Regards,

Marg.

KONA
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 02:04 AM
can I remove the plants and treat them in there. Put the plants in a huge tub and light over that?

fishgeek
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 08:06 PM
check your water parameters for ammonia nitrate and nitrites and do more water changes with good quality(test no nitrates/chloramines in your tap0 water

i find fin rot usually is secondary to poor water quality
and respiratory signs could be nitrogenous waste's aswell

check the filter is no obstructed or slowing down because of material in the media

andrew