PDA

View Full Version : ADDING TOP WATER

paulsa67
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 05:59 PM
WOULD THIS AFFECT THE DISCUS HEALTH BY ADDING WATER STRAIGHT FORM THE TAP ???

ANY ADVICE WELCOME

REGARDS Paul .............

FishLover
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 06:40 PM
I always treat my water fist in a different container. At least you will stress out the discus even after you put in Prime to condition the water, which I assume you do. Otherwise, you would have killed them all.

paulsa67
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 11:10 PM
In what way do u treat the water,Do you just leave it over night or do you add chemicals???

Crocky
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 11:26 PM
I go straight from the laundry taps,I just set the water to the right temp.I have it so I can just clip on a garden hose ,which has a spay trigger on it and fill the tanks up useing the finest setting.It take a little longer to fill as it spray into the tank as a mist doesnt hurt the fish or babies (2 weeks old).

Brad

Daetarek
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 11:49 PM
As does FishLover i treat the water in a seperate container overnight (a bin), then do the water change in the morning, i also have a 10l watering can which has got aged treated water in it for top ups, under the tank.

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 01:39 AM
Paulsa, it really depends on where you live, and how your local water has been treated. You need to test your water straight from the tap, so that you know your starting point.

Get a clean glass and fill it with tap water. After an hour, test for pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and hardness. Allow the water to stand for 24 hours, and repeat your tests. If there is a large drop in pH then you should always age your water, so that the pH drop happens in your aging bucket, and not in the tank.

Your local water board should be able to tell you what has been added, in the way or chlorine, or chloramine. Chlorine needs just a simple dechlorinator, or allowing the water to stand for 24 hours with aeration will remove the chlorine from the water. If they add chloramine, which is a more stable form of chlorine, then just standing the water will not remove it. You need to add a dechlorinator which will break down chloramine as well as chlorine.

Once you know just what is coming out of the tap, you know what treatments are required.