PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Disorder

foo
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 05:42 AM
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if theres any form of treatment for swimming disorder for my discus?

It only started to swim around head down in the tank this morning. It would also fan its fins really fast. It seem to be bloated in the tummy and is putting out some large chunks of poo at a time.

I feel the pain just looking at it do its business with those brown chunks coming out. 'ouch'...

But on a seirous note, its not swimming too well with its head down and fins fanning real hard and breathing real hard.

Its now in a hospital tank and hopefully is not a fatal condition.

All suggestions and experience will be welcomed. Please... Thanks guys...

Pete

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 07:27 AM
Increase the temperature to 32 and add some rock salt or cooking salt to the water. The dose rate is 1 tablespoon per 40 litres of water, slowly increase till you reach 2 tablespoons per 40 litres of water.

The salt will help ease the breathing and cut down the bacteria in the tank. Add an extra air stone to the tank to raise the oxygen level in the water.

The first treatment for sick discus is warmth, lots of water changes, and salt. A lot of problems will sort themselves out over a few days with this treatment alone. Only use medications if this has not improved the situation.

Keep us posted Pete. Hope this helps your discus.

foo
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 01:21 AM
Ladyred... u are truly a lifesaver....

Good news everybody... I followed the steps provided by Ladyred and also tried giving it green peas... it took awhile for it to start nibbling on the peas...

After awhile it just started pushing out massive chunks of poo and its swimming all over the place and breathing fine now... i might still keep the water salty and the temperature up for afew days then slowly get it back to normal parameters...

So relieved to see it acting and behaving like a normal discus again...

Thanks LR

jim from sydney
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 01:33 AM
Pete...i have it from a reliable source......

LR was a fish in her previous life

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 07:09 AM
So glad to hear your fish is back to normal Pete. You and the fish did all the work.

I just gave you a bit of information LOL

Well done.

And Jim's right. I think I must have been a fish, well at least I seem to think like one LOL.