PDA

View Full Version : Red spotted leopards or what?

VBC
Tue Mar 14, 2006, 02:12 PM
Can anyone help identify the strain of these youngsters I just bought.
Are they red spotted leopards?
Notice each one has different body pattern as the other.

Thanks!

madaboutfish
Tue Mar 14, 2006, 04:35 PM
Hi VBC,

They look like some red turqs. Although 1 looks like its spotted, I think the spots will slowly join to form lines. Thats what I experienced when I bred pigeon bloods. However as I have never kept a fish of that particular colour I may be wrong. I guess someone else will be able to give you a more definite answer.

Regards

Nick

VBC
Tue Mar 14, 2006, 11:43 PM
Hi Nick

Thanks.

The lines and dots seem to differentiate Turq and Leopards doesnt it?
I got these pics from Discus sites and think I can tell the difference. But Im not very sure its correct.

Turquois seems to have well-formed, wider apart lines. Leopards have spots and 'chaotic' spotted lines.

One of mine has round rings or check boxes, hmmm .. dunno how to separate these two. Seller claim both came from same parents! :roll:

Regards

madaboutfish
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 01:41 AM
Hi VBC,

I am no expert with discus. The reason why I think they are Red Turqs is because I have seen some websites where the fishes look just like yours. With all the crossbreeding there seems to be a fineline between the various strains nowadays. However, from your pictures I only see faint spots. In my limited experience with breeding Pigeon Bloods I thought I had spotted discus. However when they grew up the spots merged to form lines as I mentioned in my last post. The fish on the left does look like it has some very fine lines. Although they came from the same spawn the 2 may be different types of discus. It all depends on what the parents were. Maybe when your fish grows and colours up it will be much clearer on what they are. They are nice looking fish though! I am sure that there are some gurus here on the forum who can tell you very accurately what you have.

Regards

Nick

discusjim
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 02:23 AM
Leopards don't breed true you can have turq juvies of leopard parents.