PDA

View Full Version : Happy Discus?

crazyfrog
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 06:41 AM
I'm new to Discus fish. How do you know if your Discus is happy or not? :roll:

Daetarek
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 06:48 AM
If they are constantly dark and you can always see their stress bars they are stressed, that being said i believe some breeds always have the bars.

I find the best indication is how they react to food, and movement around the tank

crazyfrog
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 07:02 AM
They are very shy and very curious about everything in the tank. They are always hungry. One of them does have bars on the body. The bigger one always bullying the smaller one. The smaller one just ignore it. The bully is the most "chicken" of all.

Daetarek
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 07:07 AM
how many discus do you have ? I find just two or three are not enough they are a very social fish, and the larger the group the more relaxed they are, a small group tends to lead to a one fish getting bullied the most i have found, this causes them a lot of stress :(

how long ago did you get them ? i only found out myself recently that they take up to a month to fully settle in and stress quite easy in that time.

to much activity in the tank room is quite a big stress issue for them too.

and that about runs out my knowledge on discus stress, hopefully it will give you a start until someone who is a little more experienced and knowledgeable comes around :)

ultra^7
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 12:43 PM
If your discus is happy,they will be eating the food you giving them hungrily and they tend chase around with each other.

nicholas76
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 05:20 PM
I'm new to Discus fish. How do you know if your Discus is happy or not? :roll:

The basic have been covered, various things I would look for include;

1. Colour . should remain colourful, not go to black and back or remain black. ( unless in breeding mode ) Stress bars are an indication but they come and go with some strains so dont stress too much i find.

2. Skin condition . No fin rot, no excessive slime or film on the body (unless in breeding mode )

3. Feeding. Will come out and feed, pick off the floor, cruize the tank. Its stomach isnt )( but has a nice full belly.

4. attitude. - will socioalize with other discus, it wont stay hidden in a corner, behind plants all day. It wont dart around the tank like its extrememly scared. It remains fully flared not clamped up and crappy looking

umm that all that comes to mind at 420 am LOL owell the joys of going to work early.

crazyfrog
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 10:07 PM
Thank you all for replying. My Discus are eating happily and have a nice full belly. They have beautiful color except a little bit shy.