PDA

View Full Version : Was wondering why?

KONA
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 06:13 PM
My Discus have been breathing hard and only a few of them are eating. They are in a 100 gallon planted tank and I was wondering what could cause this? Breathing hard, hiding alot, and not eating and not packing up together. I also checked the water and the ammonia is o but the Ph is 7.0 but it has been like that for a long time. I do 2 water changes a week and the water temp is 82. Thankyou

FishLover
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 08:54 PM
do yu have co2 injections for your plants?

KONA
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 09:32 PM
No Co2... Just a bunch of low light plants like swords, hornwort, water sprite, and a bunch of ones thast I am not sure what they are. I just recently added 3 more discus. So know I have a total of 6. You think that they are still batteling it out to see who the leader is?

sharn
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 09:37 PM
did you quarenteen the new ones? maybe gill flukes? i know that makes them breath heaving, do they sort of shut off one gill and pump the other?

nicholas76
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 10:19 PM
No mention on the use of airstones.

Increase the oxygen levels in your tank by putting in a few airstones.

Can you supply a picture.

FishLover
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 12:57 AM
Be careful what kind of airstones you are using. Some of them will increase your PH levels.

I agree, maybe some air pump into the tank willdo good.

KONA
Tue Mar 14, 2006, 12:52 AM
thanks for all the responses. This gill fluke thing, will it go away on its own? Or do I have to get something for it? I hear meds will kill my plants though, is this true? Thanks

kOnA

nicholas76
Tue Mar 14, 2006, 04:16 AM
We dont have enough information to indicate if it is gill flukes or not.

Gill flukes require rather strong medication to get rid of it.. Persist with teh air stones for now.

ps post a picture we might be able to pic an issue or two!

KONA
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 12:00 AM
will a power head pointed to the surface do the same as airstones? I think that they are not getting enough oxygen. I was reading how the plants asorb it at night and release it in the day. So I think this is what is wrong. I put a powerhead in there and the spray bar and powerhead are ripping the surface good. Will this be the same as airstones for Ox? Thanks

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 01:58 AM
Yes it will help a lot, as oxygen exchange takes place at the surface of the water. Water movement, either through using an airstone or powerhead will draw water from the bottom of the tank, up to the surface where oxygen exchange can take place.

Gill and body flukes have very definate symptoms. Your fish will begin to breathe heavily, sometimes from only one gill at a time, and they will start to flick their body against objects in the tank, in an attempt to dislodge the irritant. If your fish are showing these signs, then treatment is required. Fluke and tapeworm treatment can be given in the main tank, and won't harm your plants or your bio filter.

Gill and body flukes do not go away on their own. You need to treat the fish with an appropriate remedy.