PDA

View Full Version : Any help would be great

davothegreat
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 10:19 AM
about 8 months ago my father had a hart attack and now he has brain damage(thanks for any sympathy). he was big into is discus breedind and i think he had gone to some discus assoation meetings as well. now he is in a home and not coming back to his home and cannot look after the fish, so i grabed my two favoret fish and made a breeding setup. well its finally working here are some pics.as far as the other fish and tanks they will be for sale soon. the last time i counted the amount of fish there was about 100+ fish and 10-15 breeding pair, i will post the pics in the for sale soon. so if you are after some fish check it out. i think i will have to be selling some of the babys if these two firtile fish keep going at it. is there any help to get a good or better brewed . how do you measure discus is it fron nose to tail or top to bottom, if its nose to tail the male is 7' and the female is 6.5' aprox and what kind are these fish as in what name do they have.
thank
Davo[/img]

davothegreat
Tue Mar 14, 2006, 11:12 PM
they layed on sunday the 12th and today wed the 15nthey hatched in the morning

madaboutfish
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 01:44 AM
Hi Davo,

Very nice pair! I really like the shape of your fish.

Regards

Nick

discusjim
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 02:33 AM
The male looks like a blue Snakeskin. And the female like a blue turk/cobalt. They are nice fish. And wil have nice babies.

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:19 AM
Hello Davo and welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about your dad. He must have loved his fish.

Fish are measured from the nose to the start of the tail (don't include the tail) and that is called 'Standard Length'. Most people still measure fish in inches, so at 6 or 7 inches, you have a very well grown mature pair.

I agree with discusjim about the strain of these fish, female a blue turquoise or cobalt blue, and the male a snakeskin.

Good luck with raising the fry.

davothegreat
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 12:08 PM
wich is wich i thin k the femail is the smaller one. the latest on the babys is that they have bunched up and going into there 3rd day as wrigglers. and thanks for the help
doggy photo i know hopefully a better one tomorrow

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 05:27 PM
In the top pic of this post, the female is the one on the left. You can just see her breeding tube.

There is a better pic of the breeding tube in the third picture from the top.

Females have a fat round breeding tube, and the male has a smaller, more pointed one, like a "v" shape.

Bunching up is normal. The parents move the fry around on the cone all the time till they get to the free swimming stage.

davothegreat
Fri Mar 17, 2006, 11:11 PM
the parents were fightin really badlly whitch is normal for these 2 so i took the male out an the female was doing a fine job til yesterday when in the morning they looked fine at 9.30 am at 6pm when i got home they were free swimming all over the tank and some dead on the bottom and heaps every where on the glass. mom wasnt going dark but a very odd light light colour so whited the tank and put a small globe over it and ckecked it a couple of hrs later , no change. in the morning when i checked them still no change till about 5 min when mum went dark and 2-3 min later what babys left where then on mum. the dead babys i think kcame from being stuck in water outlet strainer that has a light brown stoking over it to stop them going in but it was the darkst thing in the tank as mum had gone a strange colour. they where getting there tails stuck in it.now there is about 20-30 babys on mum

davothegreat
Fri Mar 17, 2006, 11:11 PM
the parents were fightin really badlly whitch is normal for these 2 so i took the male out an the female was doing a fine job til yesterday when in the morning they looked fine at 9.30 am at 6pm when i got home they were free swimming all over the tank and some dead on the bottom and heaps every where on the glass. mom wasnt going dark but a very odd light light colour so whited the tank and put a small globe over it and ckecked it a couple of hrs later , no change. in the morning when i checked them still no change till about 5 min when mum went dark and 2-3 min later what babys left where then on mum. the dead babys i think kcame from being stuck in water outlet strainer that has a light brown stoking over it to stop them going in but it was the darkst thing in the tank as mum had gone a strange colour. they where getting there tails stuck in it.now there is about 20-30 babys on mum

davothegreat
Mon Mar 20, 2006, 07:53 AM
the latest is
goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooone

marg
Mon Mar 20, 2006, 11:08 AM
So sad - I really feel for you.

Better luck next time.,

Regards,

Marg.

jim from sydney
Tue Mar 21, 2006, 03:49 AM
Davo....thats tough luck Pal.........we learn all the time....better luck next time....the pics are great....thanks for the effort....Jim