PDA

View Full Version : Planted Discus Tank updated 250306

OscarManAlpha
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 10:46 AM
Picture below 2 weeks of growth.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/Oscarmanalpha/SideBySide.jpg

Thought I would share my planted Discus tank with other like minded people so here it is.

Tank: 3x2x2

Temp: Min29 Max32

Lights: 3x 3ft double standard fluro lights with mixed spectrum tubes.

KH: 6

PH: 7

Co2:17.7 mg\l

FE Iron:0.5ppm

No3: Not tested but water changed 40% twice a week.

Filtration: Eheim professional 2 2026 plus a no name internal filter.

Heater 1x300w Aqua One

Substrate: Coff's Harbour gold 3-5mm with loads of Dupla K laterite ball's. The depth is 5cm which makes putting in the bunch plants a breeze.

The next project will get a very dark to black ADA substrate.

Fauna: 5x Discus 4 of which were bred by my Dad so that makes me very proud : )
2x Siamese Algae Eaters
2x Bristle Nose
6x Harlequin Rasboras ( need another 18 )
6x Corydorus Schwartzi
2x Hoplo cats that definitely should not be in there but I can't catch them without replanting the tank !! They are ok with plants but they disturb the Discus.

So all up not to many fish for the 350l capacity of the tank. I'm happy for the moment with these stocking levels : )

Flora: Red Tiger Lotus ( nymphaea zenkeri )
Echinodorus Kliener bar
Echinodorus Green Flame
Wisteria ( Hygrophila difformis )
Pogostemon stellatus aka Eusteralis stellata amongst other names.
Hope the spelling on these is correct !!

A few things concerned me when I converted this tank to Discus from Rainbows.

1)The dense plants would be hard for the Discus to forage for food I know from past experience mine don't like the insecurity of having to venture into uncertain territory. Luckily the Color Bits and blood worms fall gently onto the Lotus leaves for the Discus to pick them off.

2)The extra bright lights was a major concern. After discussing on two separate occasions this dilemma on MSN with a couple of knowledgeable members from this site ( Names and MSN's withheld ) they know who they are : ) They both suggested a creating an area of shade in the way of floating plants. Hence I have trained the Sword plant runners by attaching them to the sides of the tank with some suction cups. Once a week I simply trim they're roots. I'm sure this has stunted the mother plants somewhat but thats ok.

The tank is still a work in progress.

I want to plant some Chain swords in the front. Anything that doesn't require too much fiddling. I don't like disturbing the fish too much.

Also the Swords will get taller and completely hide the back of the tank.

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

For those of you who are members of both the Discus Forums and the Aquatic Gardens Australia forum this is a dual post.

BTW one has to be a member of the AGA in order to view the tanks in the Planted Tank Journal of which there are some fantastic projects underway.

So sign up and check them out !!!

And add your own if you have a planted tank to share. http://www.aquaticgardensaustralia.com

Cheers,

Mark

Ben
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 11:06 AM
Mark that is one stunning planted tank mate!

The Red Tiger Lotus is growing at great speed!

Thanks for the pic,

Ben

OscarManAlpha
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks Ben,

Can't wait for the background to fill out.

Will update when it does.

Cheers,

Mark

Mattzilla
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 02:07 AM
the first discus pictured is absolutely stunning!!! it has a very rare pattern that i have not seen much and great shape

tank looks great too

OscarManAlpha
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 07:42 AM
the first discus pictured is absolutely stunning!!! it has a very rare pattern that i have not seen much and great shape

tank looks great too

Thanks mattzilla.

He is an interesting fish. He was raised in a BB tank he never seemed to find a suitable mate after many many attempts.

So sadly no off spring from him as he is very round.

He is extremely shy. Believe it or not his always the last to the food.

Anyhow he now gets to live out his retirement in a planted tank.

As for the babies it will be interesting to see how they grow in this environment.( I have siblings in a BB tank )

I personally believe for them to get to his size a BB tank is required.

Just my opinion from what I have seen and read on this forum.

One simply cannot overfeed in a planted tank and then vacuum off the excess food.

Cheers,

Mark

DarrenJThomas
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 11:55 PM
Very nice tank.

What daily fertiliser do you use. Your plants look fantastic.

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 01:05 AM
That's a fantastic tank Mark. I'll be happy if mine ends up looking half as good. :P

sammigold
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 01:30 AM
Mark, It looks fabulous and I agree with Matzilla that first discus is totally stunning!!!!!!

Great work....

OscarManAlpha
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:35 AM
Very nice tank.

What daily fertiliser do you use. Your plants look fantastic.

Thanks

I use Aquasonic Daily Gro @ the rate of 1 drop per 50l.

So as you can imagine one 250ml bottle lasts forever LOL.

OscarManAlpha
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 05:33 AM
Here is an update just shy of 2 weeks on.

I have put the two images together.

I have to get in there now and prune.

Cheers,

Mark

goldenpigeon
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 08:20 AM
wow!!! geez thats good!

how i would love that big discus with the orange face!!!!!

Nathan
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 08:19 AM
they are just beautiful mate, they look awesome!

nathan

endless
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:09 AM
What kind of discus is that. i have one exactly the same. mine was really ugly when it was small - completely brown. But now that it has grown bigger the body is turning blue and the face orange just like yours. Also like yours the strips on the body are not straight. So i was just wondering what the strain the parents were

OscarManAlpha
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 09:25 AM
What kind of discus is that. i have one exactly the same. mine was really ugly when it was small - completely brown. But now that it has grown bigger the body is turning blue and the face orange just like yours. Also like yours the strips on the body are not straight. So i was just wondering what the strain the parents were

Can't speak the parents sorry Endless. This guy was not bred at home and was bought from a store as a cheap none descript fish.

So I too would love to know what he is.

Cheers,

Mark

AussieStar
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:06 AM
mate thats a sweet setup, wish mine was running that well but having some balck hair algae trouble and discus problems atm, but your tank is sweet

OscarManAlpha
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks AussieStar,

I do regular water changes 40-50% twice a week.

Much is written, much is said about not having to do them with a planted tank.

Well thing is I can't expalin the scientific reason for it, but if I don't do them the algae starts to take hold.

I bought one of Amano's books Aquarium Plant Paradise ( can't wait to get the others ) and he gives a run down of the water changes he does.

On some tanks he does 1/3 per week and on others 1/3 per day.

You are probably doing that already.........

As for problems ( challenges ) thats the same for all of us at some time.

I just lost 6 peppermint BN's the heater blew up !!! ( tank topped out at 37 degrees !!) not this tank a BB one with caves and wood I wanted to spawn them as they were grown from 2cm to 7cm.

The four remaining ones seem to have recovered, but I can only imagine the internals of the fish must have been damaged....

Never a dull moment !!

Cheers,

Mark

enigmatic
Sun Dec 31, 2006, 08:58 AM
Mark,

That is an inspirational tank you have going there.

Sorry to hear about losing the Peppermint Bristlenose.

You have some very nice looking Discus in there. Your Dad did a great job breeding them. By any chance, does your Dad still breed and perhaps sell any?

Any photo updates?

luvmydiscus
Sun Dec 31, 2006, 09:25 PM
Very beautiful tank you have there..... :D The Discus and your plants are just amazing. Thanks for posting..... :D

fish_r
Mon Jan 01, 2007, 02:10 AM
wow, hadnt seen ur tank b4 Mark :)
it looks great, how do u get the lotus to grow so well ?
wish mine would grow that well :(
beautiful looking discus too...
hows the tank looking now ? any updated piccies ?