PDA

View Full Version : Breathable Bags

Ben
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 04:43 AM
i was just reading the february edition of TFH magazine and there is an article on breathable bags. very interesting as the bags are filled %100 up with water and O2 pass's into the bag.

It mention's in the article that a fish lived in the bag for 10 days!
(its stomach was purged before putting it into the bag.)

This saves on space and the use of a O2 bottle to fill the bags.

has anyone tried these bags or heard of them before?

and are they available in Australia?

Cheers
Ben

goldenpigeon
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 04:48 AM
are the bags very big? are there many sizes of them?

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 05:05 AM
Ben I've heard about them before, and it seems to be a good thing. Never seen them for sale in Australia though.

Ben
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 06:49 AM
The bag's come in an assortment of sizes.

2 1/2 x 4" which is the smallest to 16x30" which is the largest.

This is a very interesting product and i would like to know more if anyone can help.

The article mentions that the bags are very strong and can be used several times which makes it very enviromentallyl friendly.

*Below is a picture coutesy of TFH magazine.*

Proteus
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 07:31 AM
Whilst they seem like a great idea (I read the TFH article and have read a lot of other things on American based forums) my biggest concern is, if they can uptake oxygen from the environment, then they can uptake C02, fumes, residues (from the surface where the bag is resting on) etc etc...

Obviously we don't all have access to a tank of pure hospital grade O2 like most LFS's, but at least if bagged correctly the environment within can be classed as sterile to any other contaminants until the bag is opened???

Food for thought maybe...

Either way, it sounds very interesting and would be good to see how things go down the track

Proteus
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 07:53 AM
Seems that Novalek, the company that makes, or should I say, used to make the Breather Bag's no longer produces them???

oh well

Here is some info they have on there website, seems it hasnt been updated in quite some time.

http://www.novalek.com/kpd74.htm

Kordon Breather Bags

I contacted Kordon about the rumor they are discontinuing Breather Bags. The nice receptionist told me they had stopped production because they feel demand has fallen. They have alot of 4x8 & bag liners left, however at this time will not be making additional runs of breather bags.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=538166

Ben
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 10:55 AM
very interesting...

i wonder why there is a large article about the product in last months TFH magazine.

Maybe they are going to start producing them again.

Would be great to give them a try.

Proteus
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 10:57 AM
very interesting...

i wonder why there is a large article about the product in last months TFH magazine.

Maybe they are going to start producing them again.

Would be great to give them a try.

I thought the same thing...

Having doen a nice big google search, there isnt much to be found that is current (i.e. post Aug/Sep 2005)