PDA

View Full Version : I now understand good silicone work

Bad Inferno
Fri Mar 10, 2006, 09:16 AM
I was in Adelaide this week and saw some great tanks.

The one I liked was huge 8' these are constructed tanks ie not jebo aqua one etc

1. All glass edges had been polished and slight bevel, even the top brace pieces had been positioned superbly.
2. Silicone was BLACK and looked fantastic
3. Rear 10mm glass was black glass wow !
3. Small wier set at the rear corner 8" x 3" (black glass) however as well as taking the water over a spill way they also had a 3" hole in the wall of the wier and had fitted a plastic disc which had holes drilled in. I suppose it allows to skim the top however the bulk of the water goes through this disc. I liked the idea as I thought it might quiet down the wier as only 10-20% of the water would cascade over into the wier. the more holes drilled into this disk the less water over the top.

4. Price reflected quality...too high to mention

I was going to upgrade to a larger aqua-one 5' tank however after seeing these I might just try for a custom made tank which will allow me to get good height.

Has anybody seen any melbourne tank builders use black silicone ?

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 03:38 AM
Mentone Aquarium will use black silicone if you ask them. Not sure if they produce the standard of the one you have seen. Might be worth while giving them a ring.

oscar
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 11:30 AM
Bad Inferno,

My 8footer is hand made, not a pre-fab job. Yeah, it sure is real piece of mind and the tank looks so much nicer with polished edges. I also spent the money to get the heavier duty tank with 14mm base and 12mm sides and 12mm bracing

You want to talk about quality matching price...

I've seen glasswork utilising Black-Star Glass(??? Not sure if that is what it is called. It's glass that has NO colour. You know when you look at it edge-on, it's totally clear as opposed to greeninsh) and the corners were all 45degree mitre joints!