PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning filter Media

shrimp paste
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:06 PM
I normally clean my filter media in syphoned water from the water change. Sometimes, however, it can be a little dirty and stirred up. Will cleaning my filter media in aged dechlorinated water impact the bacteria in the media? I could get the media a lot cleaner this way but not sure if it would harm the beneficial bacteria.
Thanks for your suggestions.
SP.

jim from sydney
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 02:08 AM
I normally clean my filter media in syphoned water from the water change. Sometimes, however, it can be a little dirty and stirred up. Will cleaning my filter media in aged dechlorinated water impact the bacteria in the media? I could get the media a lot cleaner this way but not sure if it would harm the beneficial bacteria.
Thanks for your suggestions.
SP.

SP best is to use your tank water that way all the bacteria will stay alive, even if you have to do it twice.......take it from the top or switch off the filters for 15 min or so to stop water movements....i am surprised to hear that your water is too dirty or stirred up to use it for cleaning the media....above all DONT use tapwater it will kill all your bacteria....Good luck....Jim

shrimp paste
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 04:10 AM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I syphon the water from the tank in to a large esky, this is when it gets stirred, as I am removing all wastes etc. I then let this syphoned water settle in the esky and use this water to clean my media. Sometimes I even vacumm my water in the esky so I can then use it to clean media. It is not the water in the tank that is stirred up - its after I remove it from the tank. But I was just wondering if using the aged dechlorinated water would entirely kill the bacteria population.

jim from sydney
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 05:19 AM
Hi Jim,

But I was just wondering if using the aged dechlorinated water would entirely kill the bacteria population.

This is the water you want to keep it is the best ...it is aged....good stuff, wont worry you at all....let it settle for a while then clean your media in it ...very gently and the water wont stir up again......Jim

FishLover
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 10:33 PM
Here is a thought,
Start syphon out the dirt, when you are done, dump the water out.

Start syphon the clean water out of the tank again into your container. That way you will have clean water to clean your filter.

I do a 40% water change at a time so it is not a problem for me to get clean water out og the tank. I finish syphon the dirt about 1/3 of the the way into my 40% water change.