PDA

View Full Version : Farming Blood Worms

Daetarek
Tue Mar 07, 2006, 06:20 AM
Does anybody know how to farm their own blood worms ? i am curious as it is a relatively expensive buying enough each week

Littlefish
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 09:32 AM
Umm...

Do you mean bloodworm, as in tiny midge larvae or blackworm as sold live from the fridge at the LFS?

Fred

Proteus
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 09:54 AM
In regards to Bloodworms, unless you have the facilities it irradiate them (yes, nuke them) or cultivate them in an ultra sterile environment don't even bother.

The commercial bloodworms you buy have been rinsed, triple rinsed and irradiated, to remove impurities

Ben
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 02:12 PM
I have tried growing and breeding them in a very clean enviroment and found it very hard to get a high amount of live blood worms.

You would be better of growing live brine shrimp as it is much easier, safer and you get a larger ratio of food per litre of water.

hth

Ben

FishLover
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 02:49 PM
Try to buy the bloodworm sheets, not the blocks. They work out cheaper.

You will need a good tool to cut the sheet each time you feed. I find it works better for me since I can control how much to feed. I have 11 3" Discus and I feed them 2 times of BW a day. $4 of BW sheet last me about 15 days. I also feed them once a day with flakes.

marg
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 02:56 PM
Where do you purchase Bloodworm Sheets? Who markets them - I have only heard of blocks.,

Regards,

Marg.

FishLover
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 10:18 PM
Our LFS sells them. It's in the same section of the blocks. Hikarri makes both. So is other BW makers. The general rule is the sheets cost the same as blocks but last twice longer. Some times the sheets are even cheaper than the blocks.

I like the Hikarri brand because they also add some vitams in it.