PDA

View Full Version : Wrigglers

DarrenJThomas
Mon Mar 06, 2006, 10:18 PM
Yay, I made it to the next stage.... I have wrigglers :lol:

Any pointers on what i should do next providing they havent been eaten by the time i get home from work.

Should i do a water change?

Thanks

DarrenJThomas
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 11:41 AM
The wrigglers are 2 days old now.

Thought i would post a picture.

Crocky
Fri Mar 10, 2006, 05:47 AM
Just have a light going 24/7.

Brad

sharn
Fri Mar 10, 2006, 10:29 AM
its cool to think that tadpole looking things are going to turn into round, beautiful discus! very cute and hope things go well for ya!

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 04:10 AM
Yaaaaaay Darren. Well done. Now you know you have a proven fertile breeding pair.

Each time they spawn, the number of wrigglers will increase.

Got my fingers crossed for you :wave2

Ben
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 10:49 AM
Well done Darren!

keep us posted!

cheers
Ben

nicholas76
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 09:48 PM
Nice one Darren

PICS ! please

DarrenJThomas
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 10:42 PM
Sorry to say that they ate all the fry once they were free swimming.

So I cleaned their tank, gave them a big water change and some yummy food to eat. One for praise for getting this far and one to encourage another spawn.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for all your support....

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:08 AM
Well Darren, you know you're doing everything right.

It will all come together soon.

nicholas76
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 06:44 AM
odds on it was going to happen.

at least they are in the breeding cycle so look fwd to some discus action in the next few days

:) fingers crossed for you..

Crocky
Mon Mar 20, 2006, 02:15 AM
Hi Darren

Most of the time they just eat them when there only a few wriggler,I had a pair lay 18 times with no wriggler,then another 6 times with a small spawn,of a dozen or so wrigglers before they
raised a spawn of 80.Also don't take any photo's or turn the tank light on a new pair with wrigglers,wait till there been attached for week or so.

Brad

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:12 AM
Brad that's quite right. I've had the same thing happen to me too.

The pair I have in a breeding tank now, with fry on their backs, had a spawn of about 20 wrigglers which they promptly ate once they were free swimming. This is a very experienced pair, and have successfully raised several spawns.

They obviously thought 20 was not worth the effort, and within days the female had laid again.

They are currently raising around 80 fry which are now 2 weeks old.

I guess if you look at it from their point of view, raising a spawn of fry, large or small, takes a lot of time and energy, and they would rather spend that time raising a large batch, than raising just a few.

goldfish
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 04:53 AM
do we leave the lights on 24/7 when there are eggs?, but when it reach wriggler stage,do we turn the lights off ?

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 06:36 AM
Hi goldfish. It depends a lot on the colour of the fish. We want the parents to be the darkest thing in the tank when the wrigglers start to free swim.

A lot of the red and golden fish are very difficult to have the fry attach. They don't seem dark enough to the fry or something, so the way you overcome it is by turning the main tank lights out and just have a room light on. I leave some kind of light on 24/7 while the parents have eggs and young fry.

The fry can see their parents all the time, and they feed and grow faster. If you turn the lights out, I find that in the morning the fry are scattered all over the tank, and they haven't eaten during the hours of darkness.

Once they reach about 2 to 3 weeks, I turn the lights out at night, and just have the tank lights on during the day.