PDA

View Full Version : Pelvic Fin Injury

Daetarek
Mon Mar 06, 2006, 03:36 AM
Hi All,

my little Red Melon, has injured his left pelvic fin, he cannot seem to move it, and it looks like its not growing either !!!

any suggestions or is it something that will heal with time.

ta
Rob

marg
Mon Mar 06, 2006, 05:08 AM
How long ago did he injure it?

A picture might help the more learned members of this Forum.,

Regards,

Marg.

Daetarek
Mon Mar 06, 2006, 06:07 AM
the injury occured about two weeks ago a piece of the fin was lose at the join to the body, it has since come off, i don't think he was in a fight though. at the time he was the biggest and dominant discus and all the others would make way for him.

I forgot a picture :/ and its taken me the better part of an hour to get a good one :)

Daetarek
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 07:49 AM
Anyone have any ideas :!:

please help i am a tad worried that he still cannot move it

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 03:22 AM
Rob, fish are prone to injuries as they dash through the tank for some reason. It's possible that he can't move it any more, but it won't affect his health, he can still swim and eat normally.

I've seen them use the pelvic fins to 'feel' their way along a surface when spawning, especially if they've chosen something narrow, like a leaf to lay their eggs on.

If you decide to use him for breeding, then perhaps just make sure he has a nice broad surface, like a breeding cone, to spawn on.

That being said, he may simply recover movement of the fin in time. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do at this stage to promote healing.

Daetarek
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 03:26 AM
Thanks Merrilyn,

Well as long as it doesn't affect him i am happy, funny thing is that he has a little movement in it again :) not much but a little :)

thanks
Rob