PDA

View Full Version : Blood worm feeding

Daetarek
Mon Mar 06, 2006, 03:31 AM
Hi All,

how do you feed your live blood worms to discus ?

I put mine in a little cone and leave it till there all gone, is that ok ? what other ways do people do it ?

ta
Rob

Daetarek
Mon Mar 06, 2006, 03:53 AM
thr reason i ask is because my larger discus cannot seem to maneouvre into position to get to the feeding cone, and have to wait until left overs fall away

marg
Mon Mar 06, 2006, 05:06 AM
Hi Daetarek,

I used to use Feeding Cones but the suction caps gave way after a while.

Now I just drop a couple of frozen blocks straight into the tank - as soon as they hit the tank my Discus start to atttack them which very quickly breaks them up and they spread throughout the tank - everyone gets a feed that way - anything that drops to the gravel gets picked up if not by the Discus then by the Bristlenose, Clown Loach (actually as soon as he gets a whiff of it he charges the block which sends it flying for everyone), Rummynose, Rams, Catfish and Cardinals.

Discus are grazers and long after the bloodworms appear to be gone you will see them picking around and underneath the plants and in the gravel. I don't think much gets missed.

Hope this helps.,

Regards,

Marg.

Daetarek
Mon Mar 06, 2006, 05:59 AM
thanks for that i will give that a try ... i just want to make sure they all get a share of the food

marg
Mon Mar 06, 2006, 06:25 AM
IMO they should all get a feed that way - I know mine do - they are all fat and healthy :) :) .

Regards,

Marg.

barramundi
Mon Mar 06, 2006, 10:23 AM
Hi Daetarek,

Myself i put a cube of frozen bloodworms in a cup with a little water, when they have defrosted i pour them in slowly.I can see that they all get a good feed and what few make the bottom they go about looking for.

john

KNUCKLEHEAD
Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:02 PM
I use a baby medicine dropper. I let the worms thaw out and then suck the up into the dropper. The fish learn very quickly and will eat right out of the dropper. You also have more control than just throwing the worms in the tank. You can direct small amounts toward each fish.

tzwms
Tue Dec 11, 2007, 02:00 PM
I hold the frozen cubes in the water let them eat from my fingers. There are a couple that won't come up that way, but as the cubes thaw and break up, they get some of what falls to the bottom.
I'm afraid that if I used a medicine dropper, I would be there all day and the greedy little guys would beat each other up!!