PDA

View Full Version : Worrying Results after a 50% water change

Daetarek
Sat Mar 04, 2006, 02:53 AM
Hi All,

I hope i am posting in the right place ....

I did a 50% water change this morning on my 48x20x14 tank, then tested the water two hours later ... here are the results

KH = 3
GH = 8

pH
Tetra test between 5 and 6
Red Sea test 6.2
Sera test between 5.5 and 6

Nitrite
Tetra Test <0.3 mg/l
Red Sea Test Between 0 an d 0.05 ppm

Nitrate
Sera Test at 40 mg/l

Ammonia
Tetra Test at 1.3 mg/l
Red Sea Test at 0.5 ppm

as you can see i tried several test to verify results, the tank seems ok and the fish seem happy but i am really worried about the results especialy just after a huge water change, any ideas help or hints would be great !!!

also how do you convert between ppm and mg/l for comparison purposes ?

btw:
I run an eheim 2217 and 2213 on the tank no chemical media, just rings, substrat pro, coarse and fine filters, i also have an air pump and UV on it.

PLEASE HELP, i am really worried

ta
Rob

Daetarek
Sat Mar 04, 2006, 02:57 AM
Results as of 2/3/06

pH
Tetra Test - 5
Red Sea Test - 6.2
Nitrite
Tetra Test < 0.3 mg/l
Red Sea Test 0.5 ppm
Ammonia
Tetra Test 3 mg/l
Red Sea Test 1.0 ppm
GH
Tetra Test 8
KH
Tetra Test 1

hope this helps

ozarowana
Sat Mar 04, 2006, 03:36 AM
Ideally your ammonia and nitrites should be 0. You have a high nitrate reading, so I'm assuming that the tank is still going through it's cycling?

It's also a good idea to test the water coming out of your tap to see what you have to work with.

Daetarek
Sat Mar 04, 2006, 03:47 AM
The tank has been running since late december, so i would have thought that the cycling is over, tap water is around 6.5 pH ... should i be testing it for anything else ?

Cuong
Sat Mar 04, 2006, 06:30 AM
Test it for ammonia (which sometimes indicates if chloramines are present), nitrite and nitrate.

Are you adding a dechlorinator atm?

Daetarek
Sat Mar 04, 2006, 07:19 AM
yeah i add a cap full of prime

Daetarek
Sat Mar 04, 2006, 08:03 AM
Ok so i am gonna do another water change tommorow (50% i am thinking) and have introduced some carbon to the filter, only about 500g or so for now.

I think this is a short term solution !!! only though

what does anybody think ?

sharn
Sat Mar 04, 2006, 10:29 AM
seems like you have some funky test kits :? sounds like its nearing the end of its cycle, have you added lots of fish recently? that could have cause a spike due to the bacteria needing to catch up. carbon normally only absorbs chemicals like meds etc from what i know. zeolite or ammo-chips absorb ammonia but are only temporary as you said, they can mask problems you want to fix.

good luck and i hope you can get things sorted!

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 12:41 AM
Prime will neutralize any ammonia in your tank, although you will still get a reading with your test kit, it will not be harmful to your fish.

Did you test a glass of tap water, and was there an ammonia reading there. Let it stand for about an hour then do a reading, and see what you get.

Can't explain the difference between the readings of the two brands. I guess it shows that one of them is giving false readings, but which one???? Or are they both slightly out. Hmmm difficult question. Either way, the readings are not high enough to cause great concern.

So long as you are doing your water changes regularly and adding Prime at each waterchange, things will be fine.

Daetarek
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks Merrilyn, i will have test some tap water and see what i get, should i put prime in it first or just test it straight ?

endless
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 12:59 AM
I've found that with a low ph like yours the biological filters dont work as well and you end up with a little bit of ammonia. However due to the low ph this ammonia is non toxic to your fish. Dont be too worried just increase your water changes and slowly bring your ph up. I think that this will eliminate your ammonia and nitrite problem and get your biological filters working a bit better

Daetarek
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 01:03 AM
Well today it seems better i am about to test the water etc ... see whats happening in there

The water is ultra clear atm, and the fish all seem real happy

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 02:07 AM
Just test it straight from the tap. Don't add anything. We need to find out what we're working with.

Daetarek
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 09:47 AM
Ok tap water is

PH 8
GH 6
KH 3

no nitrite, nitrate or ammonia

i think i found the cause ... one of the fish has been hiding food under the drift wood and i guess it forgot cos it was all white and furry !!!

i think it was the khuli loaches !!!

sharn
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 10:00 AM
did a fish die and go fuzzy?

Daetarek
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 10:05 AM
no all fish seem to be accounted for it was some fish dinner which was stuffed under the drift wood

sharn
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 10:11 AM
i see :lol: that very well could have been causing your freaky readings then. good to see ya got it and hopefully things go back to normal

Daetarek
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 10:58 PM
yeah it looks heaps better today, just gotta test, but the fish all seem happy :)

Daetarek
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 11:03 PM
Thank you all for your wonderfull help :)

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 06, 2006, 02:13 AM
Well that certainly explains your strange readings.

Well done on tracking down the cause. :P

Daetarek
Mon Mar 06, 2006, 03:21 AM
Thank you and thanks for your help :)