PDA

View Full Version : Defying the odds?

psamers
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:03 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been keeping an eye on the forum for a while and took the step of buying a few discus last November withthe view to growing them out, and maybe breeding later on. you can imagine my surprise last night when I discovered some newly laid eggs on a bit of wood in my tank, and a pair vigorously defending them from other tank mates. Now what puzzles me is:
I would have thought they were too small to be breeding yet. They are probably only 7 or 8 cm in diameter.

I have kept the tank at around 30 C to help them grow, I would have thought I'd need to lower the temp before they would spawn.

I would like them to grow out further if possible should I just leave them alone and wait to put them in another tank for a few months?

I've attached a pic.

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 03, 2006, 07:33 AM
Congratulations psamers. Your fish have certainly announced that they approve of everything you've been doing.

The pair are still quite young, and will continue to grow. At this stage, I'd just let nature take it's course, and leave them in the main tank. It's all a learning experience for them, and I think they become better parents if they practice looking after their eggs and fry in a community setting.

Give them a few more months, and then try them in a breeding tank on their own.

Congratulations.

jim from sydney
Fri Mar 03, 2006, 09:33 AM
Well done Psamers.......keep us posted Pal....Jim

chrissyoscar
Fri Mar 03, 2006, 10:10 AM
Great job Psamers.

Those discus look familar, are they the ones you got from me.

Well done keep us posted.

psamers
Sat Mar 04, 2006, 06:59 AM
Yeah they are Chrissyoscar, You passed along at least one pair!

The eggs have gone, not sure to parents or tankmates, but as you say Jim and Ladyred, I hope they are saying I am close to the mark regarding feeding and conditions. As you can see it has a little gravel and a couple of plants, so I was a bit worried since most of you folk seem to keep yours in bare tanks. Anyway I'll give them a few more months of growing out and then have a proper crack at breeding them.

Regards to all.

jim from sydney
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 09:00 AM
so I was a bit worried since most of you folk seem to keep yours in bare tanks.

i wouldn't be too worried about the bare tanks, i think bare tanks work ok providing the fish are actually laying.....if they are only young i feel we should give them their natural habitat..PLANTS....in the Amazon there are no bare bottom places i am sure, so plants here we come...anyway keep at it and keep those pics coming......Jim