PDA

View Full Version : Fluval FX5 Canister Filter

revkev
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 08:49 AM
I'm thinking of buying the Fluval FX5 Canister Filter for the 6x2x2 tank any more updates on the filter ie how often it needs cleaning and spare parts.
Thanks Revkev

taksan
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 09:36 AM
Like all cannisters its needs cleaning about every 6-8 weeks or so depending on the bioload. Like all cannisters it needs good media (remember it comes with none ...hint fill it with Eheim media bought in a "pack" for a Eheim Pro 3 filter ...yep they sell the media packs seperately from the filter at a great discount although you might have trouble finding a retailer that will do this for you if you can't PM me and I'll tell you who does it as it will save you $120 on media for a FX5... best kept secret around IMHO) .
The setup and matainence of these FX5's couldn't be simpler but be aware that sometimes you might need more hose then the pitiful amount they provide (why do all cannister makers never provide enough hose). Spare parts and service are fine as Fluval is imported to Australia buy the #1 pet products distributor in the country Pet Pacific Ltd and they have a ample supply of spare pads,pumbs,impellers etc (unless you want the specific superfine polishing pads which are "on the water" so to speak).
The performance of these filters is simply amazing and so much better then the 404/405 style design as the FX5's design makes media bypass impossible due to the fact that its the only cannister filter on the market where the water flows down through rather then rises up through the media (the pump for the FX5 is on the bottom of the unit).
I have exclusively used Eheim filters for most of my fish keeping life but about a year ago I began searching for higher flow filters to do some of my big tanks instead of using Eheims vernrable old 2260 big bucket who's design hasn't changed for 20 years doesn't come standard with things like self priming,media baskets or even quick shut off taps and costs (with media and taps) over twice the price of a Fluval FX5. Now over the last year there have been quite a few manufactuers bring out big cannisters to serve this market and I've actualy tried most of them. Eheim has their new 2080 Pro3 which is a fantastic filter but suffers from being hidiously expensive and a significently lower flow rate then the others (I've got several and in my opinion the actual real life flow thruput of the Eheim Pro 3 is proberbly half of its rated pump output) that means you would need two of them to do the job of one Fluval FX5 ... that said its of supurb quality and its proberbly the easiest cannister even made to work on. Aqua One have a interesting range of large cannisters in their Aquis 2200/2400 series they work well and come with lots of accesories and I've used several of them with my only reservation being that I've seen several of them (and heard of others) break and/or leak from the seals or handle area. Jebo also have their big 950 3600 L/ph filter which is basicaly a copy of the old Eheim 2260 bucket but comes with modern accesories like media buckets and quick release taps included and is quite a bit larger then the old Eheim as well as having massive output, they seem very reliable (I've had one for a while) and are quite cheap but they are noiser then the others and physicaly large and difficult to maintain due to their bulk and large hoses. Resun and Altman are also making large cannisters in the 2400-2800 L/ph range both models having built in UV sterilizers but I know little about them except both appear to be based on the design of the Aqua One filters mentioned above and the spec's seem rather optimistic for the performance of the UV's (11 watts and 2800 L/ph ...it just ain't going to do anything). All that said for the $330 odd I've seen the FX5's availalbe for I'd say that not only are they the best value but problerbly offer the best performance of all of the filters I've mentioned. I like the Eheim Pro3 the best but for raw performance the FX5 wins hands down, its quite and easy to setup and maintain. Time will tell if they are reliable but I've got 6 now and have had one running since they first arrived into the country without any issues whatsoever.
I woudn't hesitate to recommend the FX5 to anyone (as long as they are prepared to spend $$$ on good extra media)

FishLover
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 04:49 PM
Does it make nosie? I have 1 304 and one 404 for my 125 g tank and they kind of nosiy. I don't like it but learned to live with it.

oscar
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 09:52 PM
I've got an FX5 and an AquaOne 2400 on a tank. The Fluval makes a bit more noise than the AquaOne but you've got to be purposefully listening for it. Once you close the door of the cabinet you can't hear it.

It really churns the water over, but you don't get as much non-sponge media in it as you do with the AquaOne.

Because of the size of the mesh pattern on the bottom of the baskets, finer media needs to be in a media bag. Doesn't seem like an issue until you try and pack rectangular media bags into a round hole. There are two solutions here 1) Lightly pack many media bags 2) put a thin foam layer down on the bottom but this seams silly because the thing already has oodles of foam sponge.

One thing to consider...If your a CO2 user for your plants you need a BIG external reactor to dissolve the gas as the flow rate of the FX5 just blows the bubbles straight out the end if your not careful.

Yes the hoses are too short. To give you an idea. I have a 2foot high tank ontop of a 700mm high cabinet. With the standard hosing i could connect it up (just), but wouldn't be able to pull the filter out to the front of the cabinet without disconnecting it.

The hose clamp kit for getting the hose to bend around the top of the tank is a no goes if you have to put either the suction or return in an area where the glass bracing/lid supports are.

The FX5 has no leaks. My AquaOne does.

FX5 does an excellent job of cleaning the water.

I'd buy another one without hesitation.

endless
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 12:51 AM
I have both an fx5 and a pro3. Both are great filters but in the time that i have had them, i have had to clean the fx5 twice as the flow rate had slowed down to a trickle due to the build up of bioload. I have yet to clean the pro3 as the flow rate has been the same since the day i bought it. Having said that both filters are great and i have had no other issues. oh yeah i use eheim filter media in both filters.

taksan
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 01:25 AM
I have both an fx5 and a pro3. Both are great filters but in the time that i have had them, i have had to clean the fx5 twice as the flow rate had slowed down to a trickle due to the build up of bioload. I have yet to clean the pro3 as the flow rate has been the same since the day i bought it. Having said that both filters are great and i have had no other issues. oh yeah i use eheim filter media in both filters.

Same thing happend to me until I worked out that media placement in the FX5 is important because essentialy the filter is "upside down". After I put the mech media in the top and the substrate pro in the lower two baskets the clogging issue dissapeared.

tommy110011
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 06:57 AM
I have a FX5 on my heavily planted 6x2x2 and find it does an excellent job. Very easy to start and stop and runs rather quietly, but can still hear it at night when its quiet. I think for the $$$ its a great buy.

AussieStar
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 10:03 AM
my FX5 is the best thing i have got for one of my tanks, runs a treat. i got one of the first shipments of them and nothing has broken or looks to be going, they are really easy to do water changes with the pump at the bottom thing just connect the nose and off ya go,