PDA

View Full Version : My Discus passed away this morning.

Druz
Wed Mar 01, 2006, 12:03 AM
Hi Everyone,

One of my discus starting showing signs of hex, white poo, pinched eye,dark and so on.

I started to treat him/her with metro on Sunday. The discus wasn't showing any improvements at all but instead started to get very dark, very skinny, cramped up and floating at the surface with it's head pointing up. (I had 2 airstones running)

Anyways, i got up this morning to get ready for work and saw my discus dead :(

Not happy atm.

My ph is 6.4, nitrate and nitrie 0 and amonia 0. I do 30% water change ever 2 days and feed them tetra color bits in the morning, live brine shrimp in the afternoon and frozen bloodworms in the evening.

I must be doing something wrong here. That's my second one that's died on me in the last 2 months.

The discus was 4" in size. Pretty mature if you ask me.

sammigold
Wed Mar 01, 2006, 01:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss..... :cry:

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:05 AM
That's very sad Druz. I'm sorry to hear it. I've read thru your post, and it sounds to me like you are doing everything right. Hex is a disease that moves slowly, so I think your little guy may have had it for quite a while before you noticed the obvious symptoms.

It's not always easy to pick up, but any sign of a fish getting skinny is cause for concern. I like to treat in a hospital tank, because you can measure exactly the amount of water involved, and control the dose rate.

It seems that we are hearing a lot more about hex these days, and a lot more about the resistance it seems to have to metro. My suggestion would be to use the maximum dose (400 mg per 40 litres every 8 hours) for up to 10 days, and really hit the hex hard.

Good luck with the rest of your fish. Please keep us posted.