PDA

View Full Version : my discus donīt form a pair

joao junior
Mon Feb 27, 2006, 08:25 PM
hi,i have 20 discus(2 to 3 years more)in my farm,the water is from "artesian well"i put acid posphoric to acidfic water,ph=6,4/kh=1/gh=1,i have 4 tanks 50 gallon with this fish,i try to stimulate to spain with water change(cooler water)peat,but they donīt form any pair,why?can yours helpl me,tanks.

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 03:30 AM
Welcome to the forum joao junior.

Your water readings seem to be fine, so it must be something else that's causing a problem.

How often are you doing water changes. You know that in the wild, discus breed right after the rains, when the water is VERY clean and there is a lot of extra food. The adult fish grow fat on all the extra insects and worms that have been washed into the river (all high protein foods) and the females fill with eggs.

Some things you might like to try, add a variety of meaty foods to their diet, not just dry food. You might like to try brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, frozen beefheart and vegetable mix (lots of recipes right here on this forum for making your own).

And the other thing you can do is to change the pairs around a bit. Discus can be very selective when it comes to choosing a partner.

What temperature do you have your tanks? I run my breeding tanks at 30 C (around 87 F) and the fish seem to like this warmer water.

A water change with cooler water is fine, so long as the tank temperature does not drop more than a couple of degrees.

The main things that encourage discus to spawn, is very clean water (that means daily water changes of around 20%) good quality high protein foods, and warmth.

HTH

jim from sydney
Wed Mar 01, 2006, 01:25 AM
You know that in the wild, discus breed right after the rains, when the water is VERY clean and there is a lot of extra food. The adult fish grow fat on all the extra insects and worms that have been washed into the river (all high protein foods) and the females fill with eggs.

HTH

Merrilyn does this suggests that it is best to feed directly after a w/c for best results in breeding????
Also what is the best way to do a w/c??
i.e take out the water (less vol in tank for a while) and replace or
take out and fill simultaneously???
from your experience could this give different results as far as breeding is concerned???JIm

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:20 PM
Hmmmm interesting theory Jim. I just do a syphon and then replace with clean water. Don't syphon and fill simultaneously.

Discus are a funny lot. They'll breed when they're ready, and not before. Certainly good nutrition and clean water play a big part, but I also think they have to have the 'right' partner too. As far as possible, I allow them to choose their own partner while still in the community tank.

Sometimes breaking a pair up, and then re introducing them a week or two later will induce them to spawn, as will introducing another male into the breeding tank (keep an eye on that one in case of fighting).

Some people have tried not doing a water change for a week, and then doing a 90% waterchange all at once, and that can start them off.

Yep, I've even got a garden watering can and sprinkled water on the top of the tank to simulate rain. Lots of things can be tried. One of them just might work.

Good luck.

joao junior
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 09:47 PM
thank you ladyred, i try all the things you say.but i think i have more patience,thanks

jim from sydney
Fri Mar 03, 2006, 09:17 AM
Merrilyn.....we can try and try and try some more........but never under estimate mother nature....now who ever said that?????
thanks for your comments.......Jim