PDA

View Full Version : anybody measured conductivity of their water

Bad Inferno
Mon Feb 20, 2006, 08:58 AM
Has anyone ever measured the conductivity of their tank....I assume its somewehere in the range of 0-2000 micro siemens. ?

mistakes r crucial
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 07:36 AM
Are you referring to TDS?
MAC

Bad Inferno
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 09:27 AM
TDS I think is calculated by multiplying conductivity by a factor to get TDS...so in essence TDS is the same as its derived from the conductivity measurement

mistakes r crucial
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 07:02 PM
In that case then yes, but rarely these days. I've found that the hardness readings are much more of a help to me as TDS gives you nothing specific.
MAC

fishgeek
Sat Feb 25, 2006, 06:22 PM
TDS and EC are often calculated from one another on simple meter's

this is incorrect though as electrical conductivity is affected moreso by particles that dissociate into there ion's more easily

ie saline, has an EC that represents all the particles dissolved conducting eletricty
where as calcium carbonate does not dissociate and conduct electricty so well

Total Dissolved Solids is exactly what it says , and should measure everything dissolved no just the ions carrying a current

saying that if using a ec meter you can guesstimate your given hardness etc as normally the proportion of elements/ions dissolved in your own water mix will not change
and generally a certain ec reading will correspond to a certain hardness

i use a hannah combi meter and know what ec i want to have soft and stable water here

andrew

Bad Inferno
Sat Feb 25, 2006, 10:19 PM
I have purchased an online (continuous) conductivity monitor. This simply has a probe that you place into the flow line via an inline tee. I got it on ebay and will match my online ph meter. I am interesetd in what the stability of my conductivity is, and what I do to effect it and how this can be controlled.

Bad Inferno
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 04:21 AM
Just installed my inline conductivity monitor....

I only use prime and some kh buffer (airated for 2-3 days prior to water changes) and my conductivity is 240 microsiemens.

Bad Inferno
Sat Mar 18, 2006, 09:24 AM
just an observation.... 10ml of Florena in 200 litres raises conductivit by 8 uS. So a weekly does of 30-40 mls instantly raises the conductivity by ~10%

jim from sydney
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 07:57 AM
I have purchased an online (continuous) conductivity monitor. This simply has a probe that you place into the flow line via an inline tee. I got it on ebay and will match my online ph meter. I am interesetd in what the stability of my conductivity is, and what I do to effect it and how this can be controlled.

Rob

are you happy with you conductivity meter???? type and brand?????and above all Cost??????

Jim

Bad Inferno
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 11:39 AM
These are industrial instruments costing many 1000's of dollars.. I know this as I was the product manager for these units many years ago. They are very accurate above and beyond aquarium grade, the probe is inline which means you put a tee piece in your canister return line and place the probe in one end of the tee. It also measures the temperature.

The only problem is they will need 110VAC.

There is a conductivity and pH version, I have both. Each unit has two contact outputs for alarms with a multitude of parameters that allow you to activate and delay the alarm contacts.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7593910788&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

cheers

jim from sydney
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 02:37 AM
i can borrow one from a guy at work.......they are very expensive :oops: Jim

Bad Inferno
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 02:53 AM
1.5 discus will buy you one

jim from sydney
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 10:42 AM
1.5 discus will buy you one

??????????

Bad Inferno
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 10:53 AM
I meant the cost is only one and a half discus ie $280 dollars...ok maybe two really good discus @140 each :).

jim from sydney
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 04:57 AM
Has anyone ever measured the conductivity of their tank....I assume its somewehere in the range of 0-2000 micro siemens. ?

Rob.....got some values now

GH 3
KH4
conductivity 180mS
temp 30
ph 6.9

i am interested to know if it is possible to increase conductivity (ions in solution) without change in GH and KH.....
.....kitchen salt does not affect GH and KH according to some..... true???????

i can test this outside the tank, but does it effect the discus????

Jim

Bad Inferno
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 05:21 AM
and I thought Melbourne water was soft at 200 ms....I suppose you got a BB tank and do not dose any ferts