PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do?

sammigold
Mon Feb 20, 2006, 06:28 AM
Hi

I have had my new babies in a quarantine tank by themselves for the past 3 weeks and am now at a quandry.... 2 are bigger than my littlest and I am thinking about putting them in the main tank over the next couple of weeks and keeping the littlest one in the quarantine tank by himself to grow out some more..(he has a lot more growing to do before I would think about putting him in my main tank)

question : Would he be ok by himself or would it stress him out?

Any advice would be appreciated...

thanks

nicholas76
Mon Feb 20, 2006, 07:08 AM
Sammi,,

mate your stuck between a rock and a hard place. The way I see it you have two main issues

1. fry ( new fish ) hate being one up, they feel safer schooling in groups.

2. Being the small guy in the tank he may get bullied stressing him to the max.

If your main tank is large and planted? id probably put him in with the rest of the crew. at leats he can hide if need be.

Or

you can buy more fish his size and turn your q tank into another main tank :P

Littlefish
Mon Feb 20, 2006, 07:29 AM
Don't know if it would help, but I've temporarily overcome lonely fish issues in the past by placing a mirror against the outside of the glass.

The fish seem happy enough to 'school' with their reflection.

Fred :)

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 01:35 AM
That's an interesting tip Fred. Thanks for sharing :P

sammigold
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 02:57 AM
Thanks guys... I will leave them together a little longer I think... they arent bullying the little guy I dont think...(will have to go and watch for a while)

Nick I would love to make q tank another main tank but wouldnt be big enough to house even one grown up discus.... :lol:

and littlefish thanks for that tip I might try that if I do move the other two across.... :P