PDA

View Full Version : New Breeding Pair

aquafrogstuff
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 12:27 AM
Hi all,

Thought I'd share some pics of a breeding pair I bought yesterday. They're settling in OK. Still waiting for them to feed.

Enjoy.

nicholas76
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 12:57 AM
Nice fish you have there!

that tank looks brand new too! way too clean :D

keep an eye on that sandy substrate , an algae bloom can hit you pretty hard.

Best of luck with breeding them.

aquafrogstuff
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 05:02 AM
Cheers. I've had the filter running for about a week before doing a 100% water change with another established tank. Also transferred fluidised bed and peat filters from the old tank to the new tank to keep water in similar condition until bacteria establishes in the new canister.

Will keep an eye on the substrate. It's meant to be OK for discus (according to the LFS anyway).

nicholas76
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 05:06 AM
awsum sounds like you have it sorted.

in relation to the sand, I had a BIG algae bloom about one month after letting the tank settle in.

If you do see it forming your options are basically limited especially if you want to successfully spawn them.

for example bristle nose cat fish are great algae eaters but they will consume your discuss eggs.

when they settle in a bit mor id love to see a few more pics

congrats on the purchase again.

jim from sydney
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 09:00 AM
Congrats on the breeding pair... :blob ...hope all goes OK for you..Keep us posted.....Jim

goldenpigeon
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 12:23 PM
looking awesome Dwayne!!!!! more pics mate?

aquafrogstuff
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 12:50 PM
Dave,

As requested.

I've also removed the canister as it was making the tank too turbulent so I'm just running the fluidised bed and peat filters off a powerhead. Not ideal, but it was the only way I was going to get bacteria into the tank at short notice.

Cheers,

Dwayne

Ben
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 12:57 PM
Dwayne,

well done mate!

it looks like the pair have settled in very well!

keep us posted on how they go, as they are a very nice pair!

cheers
Ben

Dave76
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 03:35 PM
Nice looking pair mate

Is that the pair you got from Seaview? Do you know what other pairs / singles they got in ?

Cheers

Dave