PDA

View Full Version : PH Calibration Help Needed?

discus_maniac
Thu Feb 16, 2006, 09:54 PM
Hi all,

Just recieved my PH Meter Pen...can someone in here show me how to calibrate for first time use???

Cheers :)

DarrenJThomas
Thu Feb 16, 2006, 09:59 PM
Have you got the calibration solutions required to calibrate the pen?

endless
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 02:08 AM
Do we need to calibrate it when its new?? I just used mine and compared it to my normal test kit.

discus_maniac
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 06:04 AM
Hi just use my PH pen for the first time and here are the result...PH level is 5.50.
Is that OK for discus???

axelfaz
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:59 AM
hi mate i would recommond bring your ph up slowly to 6.8 or 7.0 .your ph is good for wilds but to low for tank raised discus must people keep at 7 and have there breeders at 6.5 IHTH

Cameron

Merrilyn
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 11:49 AM
Hi DM. Calibration solution is simply a liquid with a known pH of 7. You dip the probe of your pen into the solution, and then using the little screwdriver that is supplied with most pens, alter you reading till it comes to 7.

You don't throw away your calibrating solution. It can be reused a number of times.

Using the solution is the most accurate way to calibrate the pen. It's cheap and should be used about once a month to make sure your pen is still giving an accurate reading.

If you don't have any solution, then use your pH test kit to give you an idea of the accuracy of your pen.

At this stage, I wouldn't be doing anything much to alter the water too dramatically, other than keep up with some regular water changes, till you can verify the reading of your new pen.

Bad Inferno
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 09:18 PM
When you get the calibration solution (buffer) make sure you also get some distilled water. Dip the probe into distilled water and shake dry before dipping in buffer. This way your buffer will last a very long time as it will not get contaminated. I would suggest getting ph 4 and ph 7 so you can test the accuracy throughout this range although you can also get a pH 10.

The pH electrode has a measuring electrode (glass) and a reference electrode which is like a wick. inside the cap you may see a sponge if you keep this wet (distilled water) it means your reference electrode will not dry out and thus your calibration should last longer. Never touch the glass electrode with your fingers.

good luck

discus_maniac
Thu Feb 23, 2006, 01:05 AM
Well i got 2 solution bottle with the PH Pen.
1. Buffer solution PH4.003 (25 degree)
2. " " PH6.864 (25 degree)

I need to re-calibrate my Pen it reading its a bit funny.

jim from sydney
Thu Feb 23, 2006, 02:03 AM
Hi all,

Just recieved my PH Meter Pen...can someone in here show me how to calibrate for first time use???

Cheers :)
out of interest....where did you buy from and at what price.....i am looking for one as well...and are you happy with it????Jim

marg
Thu Feb 23, 2006, 02:17 AM
Hi Jim,

Check out Age of Aquarius - they have them on Special for $49.00 this month - great Price!!.,

Regards,

Marg.

jim from sydney
Thu Feb 23, 2006, 05:52 AM
Hi Jim,

Check out Age of Aquarius - they have them on Special for $49.00 this month - great Price!!.,

Regards,

Marg.

Thanks Marg......keep well....Jim