PDA

View Full Version : Babies and fish tanks

weird
Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:05 PM
My mrs and I are hoping to have kids very soon. I am in the dilemma of having tanks around the house with buckets of water holding about 90-100 litres next to the tanks.

Now only living in a 2 bedroom house, I need to make some decisions pretty soon ... either kid safeing my tanks or selling some tanks off including the fish to avoid hazzard areas.

Any ideas of practical solutions to help minimise risks ?

marg
Thu Feb 16, 2006, 03:31 PM
Why not put lids on the buckets?

Sounds like they are big buckets anyway, so I don't think you'll have to worry for a while yet. Maybe put an old Playpen around the buckets?

Regards,

Marg.

Proteus
Thu Feb 16, 2006, 08:29 PM
I guess you could teach the bubs how to swim at a really young age???

marg
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 03:01 AM
LOL Proteus!!

DarrenJThomas
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 04:12 AM
Is there any way you can put a hose connection inside the house and store that water in a container outside (maybe a rainwater tank).

If you could then a small powerhead in the tank would be enough to bring the water inside and allow the waste water onto the garden.

If all else fails just put floaties on the children 24/7 and keep the fish :lol:

goldenpigeon
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 08:04 AM
what if you sold of a couple of tanks and maybe had 2-3 larger ones for all your fish- minimising buckets etc

weird
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 09:13 AM
All great ideas ... it would be ashame to sell my poorly located tanks (inc fish) .. I have had most of these fish since the beginning - 2 years now ... and they are very happy ... I may end up moving all into a single room, or atleast the water bins (outside) and either do a lockup of the room or place baby barriers around the hot spots.

marg
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:21 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me - that way you get to keep Fish and Bubs!!.

Seriously though, it will be quite a while before you encounter any problems, and if you love your Fish like I love mine, you will find a way around it all :wink: :wink: .,

Regards,

Marg.

sammigold
Mon Feb 20, 2006, 06:39 AM
I have a 20month old and she is fine around our tanks... we have three.... have had them since she was tiny so she knows not to bang on them etc.. although we still have lovely sticky fingerprints on the glass at times.... :roll:

in regard to safety we have a 4ft tank built in to a bar and we have put a barrier at the entrance to the bar to stop her from getting behind and playing with the power cords etc.... so far she hasnt tried too hard to get past it. the other tanks we have put boxes in front of the cords etc.. and so far she has shown no interest in going near them..

I think Margs Idea about Lids on the buckets is ideal.... although kids are known to be "into everything" it is amazing how uninterested they can be if things have always been there... your babies will grow up with the fish and know the boundaries that you set...

Keep your tanks.... you can always work out ways around things... :D

weird
Mon Feb 20, 2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks Sammi.

I think it would be incredibly educational and entertaining for them as well (and a great destresser for me), so will persist, and try and think of innovative and practical solutions ... I have some time yet but I am so busy with work at the moment ... time literally flies ... so I will let the subconscious start working on it.

I might even get that fish room I always wanted :D

sammigold
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 08:51 AM
Yes Weird, I forgot to mention that my little one loves to say "Hello" to the fishies... especially our oscars (I think they see her as a potential food source :lol: :lol: ) and she is fascinated by our little pleco who sucks on the glass....

Good Luck in getting your fish room!!! :lol: